Online International Studies Courses
The following are some typical online courses related to international studies.
- Theory and Practice: This course offers studies in the theory and practice of international politics. This international studies course focuses on theories of international relations and politics as applied to global processes. International and regional integration and disintegration processes are studied, as are the consequences of policy decisions.
- Results-Based Management of International Programs and Projects: This course is designed for those involved with international development. Students learn concepts and strategies of results-based management of international programs and projects, as well as how to implement, monitor and evaluate these plans.
- Intro to International Relations: This course focuses student attention on the myriad types of communication methods used by countries around the world to interact with one another. The structure of the course is broken into halves covering international security and international political economy.
- World Regional Geography: This introductory course focuses on the way that people interact with one another across varying regions. Students will learn how the world is interconnected through political and economic ideologies, trade and colonialism. Students will learn to understand how global issues shape the world.
- International Political Economy: This course covers global economic topics, including trade, investment and aid. Students also learn about the effects of multinational corporations and the United Nations on the worldwide economic environment.
- Terrorism:In this course, students learn about the global trend toward terrorism. They compare modern terrorist activities to traditional warfare and explore the potential implications of nuclear weapons falling into the hands of terrorists.
Most international studies programs encourage students to think critically about how countries interact, how their customs and cultural systems affect global relations. Students are also required to study global issues. These programs can prepare students for occupations in government agencies, diplomacy and international organizations. Online programs typically confer bachelor's degrees, master's degrees or graduate certificates.
Students taking courses as part of larger degree programs may be able to complete an international field study experience in the region they are studying. Online courses may use video conferencing, e-mail and discussion boards to teach subjects. Classes may require scheduled attendance and participation or may allow students to work and access coursework at their pace, though deadlines for assignments are typical. Technical requirements for online international studies courses can include high-speed Internet access and the capability to run plug-ins; printed materials may be mailed to students.
Online courses in international studies are available at the undergraduate and graduate levels; they provide education in a variety of relevant global issues.