Online Risk Management Courses
Courses in an online risk management program may cover business communication, forecasting and public relations, among other topics. Degree and certificate programs are available in fully online formats at numerous schools.
These are courses commonly offered in risk management programs.
- Assessing risk is a major part of working in risk management, particularly where making decisions is concerned. In the risk assessment course, students look at risk perception and various ways to deal with potential risks and uncertainties.
- Public relations involves maintaining an organization's image in the public's eye. Students learn how to develop and implement campaigns and other media-related materials for organizations.
- Communication skills are key in any industry. A business communication course covers oral, written and interpersonal skills that make for effective communicators in both personal and professional situations.
- Financial forecasting is an important skill for managers, especially when it comes to making strategic decisions for the future. Students examine forecasting methodology and applications, including earnings forecasts, cost prediction and cash flow forecasting.
- Students taking an organizational management course explore what makes organizations both effective and efficient. Topics include organizational structure, along with the role and responsibilities of those in management positions.
- The crisis management and business continuity course addresses anticipating, planning for, managing and recovering from crises in business or other large organizations. In addition to managing crises, the course also covers managing communications and mitigating damage arising from a crisis.
- A course in risk management for businesses focuses specifically on risk management strategies and tools for business enterprises. Topics of discussion include risk control and risk financing.
- With alternative risk financing, students learn about the traditional and alternative risk financing tools and methods that insurance companies and corporations can use to finance risk. The curriculum may emphasize the particularities of risk financing in the insurance industry.
Online courses in risk management are offered by various postsecondary institutions and may be found individually or as part of undergraduate and graduate certificate and degree programs in general management or business administration. Relevant degree programs are available at both the bachelor's and master's degree levels. Risk management studies may also be found in specialized fields, such as healthcare risk management, or in combination with studies in another field, such as insurance or information security.
Coursework is generally available in different formats, from lecture notes to live or prerecorded video lectures. Students typically have access to professors and the opportunity to communicate with other students through open forums. Some programs require students to complete exams, so students may need to find an approved proctor.
Individuals who are interested in risk financing can find online courses that are relevant to many different industries. Online programs can be found at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.