Online Sports Nutrition Courses
Commonly offered online courses include:
- Sports Psychology Course: In this course, you will learn about individual and team counseling methods for addressing motivation, performance and stress management. Sports psychology theories and strategies are also covered.
- Nutrition, Fitness and Wellness Course: A deeper understanding of the connection between nutrition and fitness/athletic performance is explored in this course.
- Exercise Assessment Course: This course addresses how to evaluate, test and design exercise programs. It will cover how to create programs for specific groups.
- Sports Nutrition Practice Course: Learn how to start and run your own sports nutrition practice with this course. Topics addressed include business planning, marketing and delivery systems.
- Sports Nutrition and Ergogenic Aids Course: Examine the effects of different nutrients on fitness and physical performance when you take this course. You will study physiological impacts of nutrition as well as hydration, weight control and eating disorders.
- Principle of Healthful Living Course: You will review methods for applying self-care techniques in areas of personal, community and vocational health in this course.
- Nutrition and Wellness Education Course: This online course teaches students how to continue educating themselves about the role of nutrition in sports performance and wellness. You will learn how to interpret information about nutrition from different sources and how to judge the veracity of the information.
- Body Composition Course: An online body composition course provides you with knowledge about the difference between fat mass and lean body mass. Also covered is how athletes can maintain a healthy weight, proper techniques for weight loss or gain and types of eating disorders.
Online stand-alone courses, certificate programs and master's degree programs in nutrition or sports nutrition and human performance are available through several different schools in the nation. Studies can usually be completed at a student's pace, though assignments may have deadlines. In addition, communication can often be completed through e-mail, chat rooms and virtual discussion forums. These courses and programs cover topics such as determining athlete nutritional needs, understanding macronutrient ratios and how often an athlete needs eat.
Schools offering online courses and degree programs in sport nutrition include:
|School Name||Degree Title||Courses/Specializations|
|George Mason University||Graduate Certificate in Nutrition||Food & culture, health behavior theory, epidemiology|
|Los Angeles Trade-Tech Community College||Health & P.E. (Standalone courses)||Body conditioning, sports ethics, men's health|
|Concordia University Chicago||M.S. in Sports Nutrition||Functional anatomy, vitamins & minerals, applied exercise physiology|
|Western Carolina University||Professional Certificate in Sports Nutrition and Performance||Weight management, public nutrition|
|Mansfield University||M.S. in Nutrition||Life cycle nutrition, community nutrition, nutrition counseling|
|Logan University||M.S. in Nutrition & Human Performance||Natural therapies, clinical nutrition in human systems|
|University of Colorado, Colorado Springs||M.S. in Sports Nutrition||Health behavior, human physiology, biomechanics|
Sports nutrition programs are available online at many schools and can offer a wide range of course topics. Subjects like psychology and education are applied to the sports nutrition field in some, while others cover weight management and exercise topics.