Video Production Courses Online
The following are examples of some common online course options in this field.
- Video Foundations: In this course, students learn the fundamentals of video production. To complete assignments, students may need a personal camcorder. Specific topics may include visual storytelling, production planning, lighting, video composition and basic equipment.
- Scripting for Multimedia, Video and Film: This course is an introduction to the formats and mechanics for script production in TV and film. It also investigates non-linear techniques in writing directed towards technologies in the new interactive multimedia.
- Skills in Digital Media: Students investigate the equipment, industry software and computer operations involved in digital video editing and production. Studies may focus on compression, bandwidth, media manipulation and storage.
- Vodcasting: Vodcasting is short for video podcast - on demand video through online delivery. Students learn about content issues and technical considerations of this method.
- Final Cut Pro: Final Cut Pro is a digital video editing program. This course introduces students to the fundamental features of the program, including using slide, slip, roll and ripple tools. Students create video features to acquaint themselves with the production and editing tools of the program.
- Digital Audio Applications: This course introduces a variety of digital audio tools. Students learn techniques and strategies for audio production and editing. These skills can also be applied to digital video projects and news stories.
- Film Analysis and Criticism: In this course students will watch and analyze a broad range of films, from a variety of genres including silent films, musicals, westerns, thrillers and European and Japanese art films. The works of such Hollywood superstars as Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Frank Capra and Alfred Hitchcock will be studied in depth, along with foreign films such as those from Akira Kurosawa.
- Blender 2.6x - 3D Design: In this course students are introduced to the creation of 3D models using Blender computer software. They will learn the many different applications in which 3D modeling can be used in video production as well as the skills and techniques necessary to be successful. Topics include basic modeling using mesh, material and texture application to 3D objects, proper lighting, and 3D animation.
Students may find schools that offer individual online courses and training related to video production, allowing novices to gain practical skills in their own homes. Courses are typically introductory or theory-based, or they deal with specific software programs that can be run on a PC. Online video production training programs typically include studies in writing, audio engineering, cinematography and editing. Courses are usually offered at the undergraduate level, but a few online graduate courses are available. Many online video production and film courses are not part of degree programs, but can be taken on their own.
Students wishing to learn more about the field of video production can find courses online offered through film programs at colleges and universities. These courses cover a wide range of topics including film fundamentals, scripting, editing and 3D design.