Online Courses in Holistic Nutrition
The following summaries highlight some of the most common online holistic nutrition courses.
- Anatomy and Physiology: The make-up of the body is studied, including the function of organs and how they interact and affect the human body.
- Nutrition Fundamentals: These courses will address the principles of holistic nutrition, including the role of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in the human body.
- Concepts and Issues: Consulting in Holistic Nutrition: Students learn the legal and practical aspects of running a consulting practice and the responsibilities of holistic nutrition consultants.
- Vitamins and Minerals: This course includes a study of the benefits and necessities of vitamins and examines the appropriate intake and signs of vitamin deficiency.
- Food Preparation: Techniques of three different food preparation methods are covered: macrobiotic, raw foods and healthy American.
- Health and Lifestyles: This class discusses the practice of holistic living techniques and assesses how spirituality, nutrients and food affect overall health.
- Nutritional Therapy: Students complete this course by researching how nutrition, lifestyle and environment affect health and how nutrition can prevent and heal illness.
- Herbology Basics: A course in this topic will cover herbs and how they can be used in therapies and medications.
- Nutrition Counseling: Students learn how to examine and apply counseling skills and methods in order to encourage nutritional health behavior changes. They also are educated on how to use motivation to keep a person on track with their diet.
- Introduction to Integrated Health: The five primary domains of Complementary Alternative Medicine (CAM) will be explored in this course. Students learn how to discuss CAM with patients, and they also learn how to plan for a career in holistic medicine.
- Ethics in Holistic Therapies: Students learn about the ethics of reflexology, massage therapy, and other holistic touch therapies. The importance of appropriate communication techniques with clients will be stressed.
Holistic nutrition certificate and degree programs may be offered at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Depending on the credential earned, graduates may become holistic nutrition specialists, counselors, health educators or chefs. Different schools use varying methods of teaching their students, but most schools offering holistic nutrition courses online give students access to virtual online classrooms where they can interact with teachers and other students.
During the course, students have access to career advice and a virtual library. Additionally, some schools have whole chat pages set up for social networking for their online students to interact, chat and forge contacts. Though the information in online programs is the same as in the on-campus programs, they are presented in a slightly different format, which is ideal for online learners. Students complete independent projects in holistic nutrition and may complete a real-world internship experience. Some schools have an online testing format and others require that someone supervise the testing process.
Online holistic nutrition can be studied through a variety of certificate programs. Undergraduate and graduate programs are also available, including doctoral programs in integrated health. Course topics in these programs include anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of nutrition, and ethics.