Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiovascular Technologies
- Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
- Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
- EMT and Paramedic
- Genetic Therapy
- Industrial Radiologic Technology
- Medical Radiologic Therapist
- Nuclear Medical Technologist
- Physician Assistant
- Radiation Protection Technology
- Radiological Science and Technologies
- Respiratory Care Therapy
- Surgical Technologies
- Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies
Online Courses in Paramedics
The following are some commonly offered online courses in paramedic studies.
- Medical Terminology Course: In this class, students learn the correct words for diseases, medications and body parts. They also learn pronunciations and spellings so they can communicate with doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals and quickly and effectively discuss the status of an emergency patient.
- First Aid and CPR Course: This class provides basic life support training using CPR and first aid techniques that are approved by the American Heart Association. This is usually a hybrid course, which includes online lectures and practical instruction through a local certified healthcare facility. Often, students gain certification at its completion.
- Cardiology Course: Students study aspects of anatomy and physiology that are useful to paramedics. They also learn ways to identify cardiovascular disorders and examine their treatments.
- Introduction to Pathophysiology Course: This class trains students in how disease and injury can alter structures in the human body. Students examine how these changes occur in people of all ages. EMT certification is often a prerequisite for this course.
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Course: This course introduces students to body parts and functions. It provides a broad overview of all body systems so that paramedics have the foundational scientific knowledge needed to provide a wide range of medical treatments.
- ECG Interpretation Course: In this course, aspiring paramedics learn how to interpret electrocardiogram (ECG) test results. Students learn how this technology can be applied to the treatment of patients with acute myocardial infarction, and they gain extensive practice with rhythm analysis.
Available courses are usually part of paramedic, emergency medical services or fire fighter programs that result in a certificate or associate's degree. Due to the intense, hands-on training requirements of the field, paramedic programs aren't typically offered fully online. However, many schools offer these programs in hybrid format, which combines online and in-person learning.
Many paramedic programs have prerequisites; students are usually required to complete an EMT-Basic program before enrolling in a paramedic program. Applicants may also need to be licensed EMT-Bs. Many schools that offer paramedic programs also offer EMT programs.
Aspiring paramedics can get some of the training they need online. Online courses are available in several key biomedical science-related topics.