Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiovascular Technologies
- Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
- Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
- EMT and Paramedic
- Genetic Therapy
- Industrial Radiologic Technology
- Medical Radiologic Therapist
- Nuclear Medical Technologist
- Physician Assistant
- Radiation Protection Technology
- Radiological Science and Technologies
- Respiratory Care Therapy
- Surgical Technologies
- Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies
Paramedic Courses Available Online
Online programs that provide paramedic courses commonly offer the following courses:
- Paramedic Medical Principles: This course explores major human systems and the various medical principles related to them, including physiology, anatomy, and pathophysiology. Students also learn how these systems relate to other medical processes such as bleeding, shock, and immunology.
- Respiratory Management: Building off of concepts learned in the medical principles course, students in this course will learn how to diagnose and treat respiratory problems. Course topics include assuring airways, providing ventilation, and designing a treatment plan for patients suffering from respiratory issues.
- Developmental Psychology: In order to provide emergency care, paramedics must have a complete understanding of the human body, and the study of developmental psychology is essential to this understanding. This course analyzes human development at each stage of the human lifespan. In gaining knowledge about themselves and others, aspiring paramedics will be better prepared to administer life-saving care in critical situations.
- Interpersonal Communication: As a paramedic, you will be expected to communicate clearly and effectively in fast-paced situations. This online course will teach you how to communicate effectively with peers, patients and others through both verbal and nonverbal methods.
- Anatomy and Physiology: This course teaches students about the human body and body systems, as well as relevant medical terminology. Advanced courses in the subject will look at the human body at a microscopic level, and explore cellular metabolism, genetics, and homeostasis.
Some paramedic courses are taught entirely online in a virtual classroom. Lab work requirements, however, are often completed on campus. Courses may be offered as part of limited enrollment Paramedic Certificate programs or Associate of Arts programs; individual online courses are also available as continuing education for existing paramedics.
Students in a distance learning paramedic program usually complete foundation courses first, then participate in hospital clinical rotations and onsite practical experiences in which they may accompany paramedics for 12-hour shifts several days per month. Online courses are often more laborious than on-campus programs, so students should carefully consider their schedules before committing to a program.
Paramedic training courses are sometimes available online as part of hybrid programs that also include hands-on training. Some common topics can include anatomy, physiology, principles of medicine, psychology and more.