Find schools that offer these popular programs
Travel Agent Courses Offered Online
Below are descriptions of commonly offered online classes for aspiring travel agents.
- Travel Industry Computer Systems: Students learn to operate computer reservation systems specific to travel, tourism and hotel industries. These often include APOLLO, AMADEUS GDS, SABRE and WORLDSPAN.
- Making Arrangements: Travel agent students become familiar with hotel planning and learn to arrange transportation, from chauffeured car transport to flight booking. Students also cultivate skills for pricing and comparing travel options to get the best deals for their clients.
- Business: Travel agent courses often include marketing techniques. Such training is designed to help future travel agents generate business, make sales and keep clients.
- History and Geography: Certificate programs also integrate studies in practical geography. Focus is placed on locations with major tourist attractions and popular destinations. Students also explore the history of travel and tourism.
- Practical Experience: Students may be required to gain practical experience with real-world clientele. They practice reserving flights, hotels, car rentals and entertainment. This practicum may be arranged on an individual basis.
- Meetings: In this course, students learn how to identify and market to group travel prospects. Studies provide students with an overview of meeting planning and operations, along with the travel agent's role in executing events like trade shows and conferences.
- Cruises: An online course in cruises will teach students all about luxury water travel. Coursework will look at the various types of vessels available, passenger markets, any costs associated with cruises and water travel, and what activities and additional travel opportunities they can offer to passengers.
- Travel and the Internet: The internet has had a large impact on the travel industry and marketing within the industry. This online course examines how you can use internet marketing to your advantage in researching, attracting clients, and planning trips.
Online travel industry courses are usually offered through non-credit diploma or certificate programs that prepare students for industry certification. Lessons cover a wide variety of topics and subjects related to travel and tourism and the hospitality industry. Students may learn about specific travel industry topics related to ground transportation, airlines, cruises and tours.
Many schools offer travel agent certificate programs that consist of a couple of courses or one large course broken up by specific lessons. Programs often have no prerequisites. Students who want to become travel industry professionals can start anytime and finish at their own pace. Learning aids include textbooks and study guides, and students usually complete exams online.
Students interested in becoming a travel agent can find online courses offered through various certificate or diploma programs. You can choose from a diverse range of courses, including ones exploring meetings, cruises, computer systems used in the industry, and effective internet usage.