Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Art Therapist
- Dance Therapist
- Music Therapist
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Rehabilitation Technologies
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
Online Physical Therapy Continuing Education Courses
The following are examples of courses offered for physical therapy continuing education credit online:
- Physical Therapist as Educator: Examines ways in which physical therapists can assume the role of educator not only for patients but for students, medical professionals and caregivers as well.
- Legal and Ethical Professionalism: Covers the professional conduct of physical therapists, addressing such issues as fraud and reimbursement processes for Medicare and Medicaid patients.
- Healthcare Risk Management: Generally addresses state statutes and healthcare regulations concerning environmental and occupational risks. Discusses safety practices, malpractice and quality control techniques.
- Aquatic Physical Therapy Competency: Further develops one's knowledge of techniques and methods for using water as therapeutic treatment for various conditions.
- Developing Exercise Programs for Individuals with Chronic Heart Disease: Shows how physical therapists can design and implement endurance and resistance programs to help patients with different types of chronic heart disease.
- Wound Healing: Online wound healing courses teach students to identify various types of wounds and how to best treat them. Students will learn about skin components and healing, edema, atypical wounds and other relevant topics.
- Exercise and Cancer Survivorship: This online course examines how exercise routines can be integrated into cancer treatment regimens. You will learn about different cancer treatment options, potential benefits and side effects of exercise for cancer patients, and how to develop exercise programs that fit the needs and abilities of patients with cancer.
To keep their licenses valid, physical therapists must meet continuing education requirements. For example, California physical therapists need to earn 15-30 yearly continuing education hours, depending on their work and licensing status, while Florida requires 24 hours of continuing education hours every two years for licensed physical therapists. Online continuing education courses are relatively uncommon, but are offered by some colleges and universities as well as professional physical therapy associations.
Physical therapists have some options when it comes to earning continuing education credits through online learning. Subject choices can include professionalism and ethics, educator training, wound healing, specialized exercise plan development or more, depending on your interests.