With only a few options for higher education around Pikeville, Kentucky, it's important to carefully consider the choices before committing to any school. The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) provides information on various institutions' proximity to the town, student populations, net costs, and graduation rates to help you make the right decision.
Closest Schools to Pikeville, KY
With so few options, it is important to carefully consider the location for the school you eventually attend. The NCES ranks the schools in or near Pikeville by closeness to the town, these being:
- University of Pikeville (within Pikeville)
- Alice Lloyd College (18.9 miles from Pikeville)
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College (19 miles from Pikeville)
Largest Schools in Pikeville, KY
Pikeville, Kentucky, is a small town. With that in mind, it only makes sense that the colleges nearest to it would also have fairly small student populations. According to the NCES Fall 2014 data, the largest schools in Pikeville are:
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College (4,638)
- University of Pikeville (2,458)
- Alice Lloyd College (657)
Lowest Net Price
A school's net price is calculated by subtracting the average amount of financial aid students at the school receive from the total cost to attend the institution. Based on figures provided by NCES for the 2014-2015 school year, the lowest net prices are:
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College ($5,702)
- Alice Lloyd College ($13,405)
- University of Pikeville ($17,653)
Highest Graduation Rate
NCES determines a school's overall graduation rate by calculating the number of students who complete a program of study within 150% of 'normal time,' which is defined as the period usually required to complete a program. None of the schools near Pikeville have graduation rates higher than 50%.
- University of Pikeville (35% graduation rate)
- Alice Lloyd College (28% graduation rate)
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College (22% graduation rate)
Make sure to consider many factors in choosing which school to attend in the Pikeville, Kentucky, area, including net price, graduation rate, proximity to the town, and student population.