When choosing between plumbing schools, prospective students may want to seek a degree program with a strong training curriculum. The goal of a plumbing school is to prepare the student for a direct entry-level position upon graduation, which necessitates a majority of hands-on work through supervised experience at affiliated businesses and in-school laboratory settings.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Building Inspection
- Concrete Finishing
- Construction Mgmt, General
- Construction Site Management
- Drywall Installation
- Electrical and Power Transmission Installers
- Electrical Systems Lineworker
- Facilities Management
- Furniture Making
- Home Equipment and Furnishings Installer
- Home Improvement
- House Painting and Wall Paper
- Metal Building Assembly
- Plumbing Technology
- Property Management and Maintenance
- Well Drilling
10 Schools with Plumbing Programs
Here are ten schools that offer plumbing programs:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition 2015-2016*|
|City College of San Francisco||San Francisco, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate||$1,598 in-state, $7,554 out-of-state|
|Red Rocks Community College||Lakewood,CO||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,429 in-state, $13,145 out-of-state|
|GateWay Community College||New Haven, CT||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$4,032 in-state, $12,096 out-of-state|
|Macomb Community College||Warren, Michigan||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$4,495 in-state, $6,641 out-of-state|
|Wake Technical Community College||Raleigh,NC||2-year, Public||Certificate, Diploma||$2,768 in-state, $8,912 out-of-state|
|Prince George's Community College||Largo, MD||2-year, Public||Certificate||$5,762 in-state, $8,090 out-of-state|
|Kirkwood Community College||Cedar Rapids, IA||2-year, Public||Diploma||$4,194 in-state, $5,034 out-of-state|
|Southern Maine Community College||South Portland, ME||2-year, Public||Associate's||$3,694 in-state, $6,394 out-of-state|
|St. Cloud Technical and Community College||St. Cloud, MN||2-year, Public||Diploma, Associate's||$6,568 (diploma), $10,651 (Associate's)|
|Houston Community College||Houston, TX||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,360 in-state, $3,756 out-of-state|
Sources: School websites and *National Center for Educational Statistics
School Selection Criteria
Students may want to consider these points when choosing a program:
- Students may want to consider a program that includes training in related activities, such as gas and heating, to expand one's work portfolio.
- Students should choose a program depending on their career goals. Certificates, diplomas and associate degrees are the most common programs, and some can prepare for entry into the field while others might be better for those who aim for career advancement.
- Students may consider a program that also contain business courses, which can be beneficial to those who might be interested in management or starting their own business.
- Some schools' plumbing programs can transfer to 4-year universities for students who may want to get a bachelor's degree.
Plumbing degrees are often available at the certificate, diploma and associate degree level, and typically provide hands-on training. Students may also want to consider programs with training in related activities, as well as programs with business courses.