The schools located in the Poplarville area offer a variety of educational settings. Students can choose among colleges and universities that offer degrees ranging from the associate's to the doctoral level. Several of the traditional schools are compared here based on information found in the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Poplarville, Mississippi
Even though there is only one school in Poplarville, there are several traditional 2-year schools and one 4-year school in the nearby area. Three of the five closest schools are community colleges.
- Pearl River Community College (located downtown)
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (27.5 miles from downtown)
- University of Southern Mississippi (35.7 miles from downtown)
- Antonelli College-Hattiesburg (36.1 miles from downtown)
- Pearl River Community College-Forrest County Center (36.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Poplarville, Mississippi
The largest schools near Poplarville are public schools, followed by multiple private institutions. A couple of the larger schools offer graduate degree programs.
- University of Southern Mississippi (14,551 students)
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (9,391 students)
- Pearl River Community College (4,379 students)
- William Carey University (4,224 students)
- Virginia College-Biloxi (313 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Cost
The cost is a crucial consideration for many students when it is time to choose a college. In the Poplarville area, net costs for traditional colleges range from under $2,000 to over $20,000 for 2014-2015. The NCES calculates the net costs shown below by subtracting the average financial aid received by full-time undergrad students from the cost of attendance.
- Pearl River Community College ($1,649)
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College ($6,655)
- University of Southern Mississippi ($12,055)
- William Carey University ($15,026)
- Virginia College-Biloxi ($18,659)
Highest Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate of a school is determined by the NCES based on the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete their degree programs in 150% of normal time (in six years for a 4-year degree, for example). In the Poplarville area, college graduation rates are generally over 25% for 2015.
- William Carey University (54% graduation rate)
- Antonelli College-Hattiesburg (53% graduation rate)
- University of Southern Mississippi (50% graduation rate)
- Virginia College-Biloxi (30% graduation rate)
- Pearl River Community College (29% graduation rate)
Despite only having a few schools in the area, Poplarville, Mississippi, provides students with choices in the location, size, price, and graduation rates of potential schools.