There are only two post-secondary institutions located right in Portage, MI, but the surrounding area has plenty of additional options for aspiring college students. To help students make an informed academic decision, the traditional colleges and universities are compared in several categories based on data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Portage, Michigan
The two schools located right in Portage are 2-year (or less) specialty institutions, but there are a several traditional 2-year and 4-year schools available nearby. A couple of the 4-year schools nearby offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Western Michigan University (3.7 miles from downtown)
- Davenport University-Kalamazoo Location (6.2 miles from downtown)
- Kalamazoo College (6.2 miles from downtown)
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College (8.5 miles from downtown)
- Michigan Career and Technical Institute (17.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Portage, Michigan
Large student populations often mean there are more social clubs and extracurricular activities available on campus. A few of the largest schools near Portage are community colleges. Four of the five large schools in the area are public institutions.
- Western Michigan University (23,529 students)
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College (8,836 students)
- Kellogg Community College (5,081 students)
- Kalamazoo College (1,443 students)
- Glen Oaks Community College (1,134 students)
Lowest Net Price
The net price of attending a college or university is calculated by the NCES through subtracting the amount of financial aid the average in-state, full-time undergrad student received from the total cost of attendance. The traditional schools in the Portage area had net prices that ranged from about $4,000 to $26,000 for 2014-2015.
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College ($3,965)
- Kellogg Community College ($5,856)
- Glen Oaks Community College ($6,010)
- Michigan Career and Technical Institute ($10,781)
- Western Michigan University ($15,358)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES also determines a school's graduation rate by finding the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete their degree programs within 150% of 'normal time' (e.g. three years for an associate's degree). The schools near Portage had rates that ranged from 10% to 85% for 2015.
- Michigan Career and Technical Institute (85% graduation rate)
- Kalamazoo College (83% graduation rate)
- Western Michigan University (54% graduation rate)
- Glen Oaks Community College (28% graduation rate)
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College (12% graduation rate)
The Portage, MI, area offers several 2-year and 4-year school options for students that range in location, size, price, and graduation rates to meet students' needs.