PhD - Information Assurance and Security
The PhD in Information Assurance and Security program at Capella University is designed for information security professionals who are seeking to develop advanced research and information security skills. Interested students can learn more about the PhD in Information Assurance and Security program here.
Official Program Name:
PhD in Information Assurance and Security
School Offering Program:
Potential applicants to the PhD in Information Assurance and Security program should have a master's degree in the information security or computer science fields. Applicants to Capella University who are under 24 years of age must have completed at least two years of college or have active military status; some programs may have additional admissions requirements.
Capella University's PhD in Information Assurance and Security program studies advancement in network and information security assurance and system and application security; the various impacts of implementing security and protection systems; strategic security planning, governance, and management methods; and government and industry standards for organizational assurance controls. Students examine risk modeling, risk assessment, and risk management and compliance management research. Students can gain an understanding of the technical foundation of IT management and develop graduate-level research skills in information technology through an examination of the foundations, design, measurement, and applications of quantitative, qualitative, survey, mixed, and applied methods of research. Students will study IT management infrastructure research, IT planning and delivery research, trends in the advancement of information technology, and IT strategy development and management techniques. The program offers practice seminars in IT consulting or IT education, and includes a dissertation research project.
Total Credits Required:
Financial Aid Available:
Capella participates in several federal financial aid programs including the Federal Pell Grant Program and Federal Stafford Loan Program. Capella is also eligible to certify Veterans Educational Benefits and can provide information on other non-federal loan programs.
Capella-funded scholarships are also available in select disciplines, such as the Robert C. Ford Human Services Scholarship and the Helene Krivosha Scholarship for education students. There are also external scholarships offered specifically to Capella students, such as the Go the Distance Scholarship.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a PhD in Information Assurance and Security:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Capella University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- TS 8004: Information Technology Research and Practice (4 credits)
- BMGT 7086: Developing an Academic Writing Process (4 credits)
- BMGT 8030: Management Theory Creation (4 credits)
- BMGT 8032: Survey of Applied Research Methods (4 credits)
- BMGT 8034: Quantitative Research Techniques (4 credits)
- Choose one:
- BMGT 8040: Advanced Qualitative Research (4 credits)
- BMGT 8042: Applied Multivariate Modeling (4 credits)
- BMGT 8212: Leading Information Technology Strategic Planning in Complex and Global Environments (4 credits)
- BMGT 8214: Guiding the Implementation of Information Technology Policies and Processes (4 credits)
- BMGT 8216: Innovating Information Technology Life Cycle Management Processes in a Changing Environment (4 credits)
- BMGT 8218: Advancing Research in Information Technology Management (4 credits)
- Choose one of the following:
- TS 8940: Information Technology Consulting Practice Seminar (4 credits)
- TS 8950: Teaching Practice Seminar in Information Technology Education (4 credits)
- TS 8531: Network Security Advances (4 credits)
- TS 8533: Enterprise Security Risk Management (4 credits)
- TS 8535: System and Application Security Advances (4 credits)
- TS 8537: Assurance Controls and Compliance Management (4 credits)
- TS 8539: Security Governance and Management (4 credits)
- Approved Graduate-Level Electives (32 credits)
- Three 4-day weekend experiences
- BMGT-R 8921: PhD Colloquium Track 1 (non-credit)
- BMGT-R 8922: PhD Colloquium Track 2 (non-credit)
- BMGT-R 8923: PhD Colloquium Track 3 (non-credit)
Dissertation and Exam
- TS 9919: Doctoral Comprehensive Examination
- TS 9960: Dissertation Courseroom (5 credits each)
- Students must register for TS 9960 a minimum of four times
Potential Career Paths:
The PhD in Information Assurance and Security program at Capella offers graduate-level research and information security leadership skills. Successful graduates of the program could pursue positions in colleges and universities, IT consulting firms, government security agencies, and a variety of other organizations that need information security professionals. Examples of positions graduates could pursue include:
- Information security consultant
- Information security and assurance professor, postsecondary and higher education
- Information security researcher
- Director of information security