PhD - Nursing Education
Capella University's Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Nursing Education program is designed for registered nurses interested in pursuing academic careers in postsecondary institutions. Find out more about this online doctoral degree program here.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Nursing Education
School Offering Program:
All applicants to Capella University's online Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Nursing Education program must have inquisitive minds and be driven by the need to help others. A Master of Science in Nursing or a related nursing degree is required as is an unrestricted, current RN license. Accredited school transcripts must verify a GPA of at least 3.0. Applicants to Capella University's graduate programs should have a bachelor's degree; some programs may have additional admissions requirements.
Registered nurses can prepare for roles as teachers of aspiring nurses by earning degrees such as Capella University's online Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Nursing Education program. This program will aim to provide learners with the educational guidance they'll need to eventually develop and oversee nursing education programs and spearhead necessary improvements. Students could be able to explore advanced nursing theory and teaching strategies in nursing education while also studying methods of educating adult learners. Program participants should be prepared to conduct research in order to fulfill the program's dissertation requirement.
Financial Aid Available:
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Capella University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Nursing Education
Students who want to earn Capella University's Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Nursing Education degree must amass 92 credits. The program includes 22 required courses. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Capella University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Core Courses (33 credit hours)
- Advanced Studies in Education: Theory, Practice, and Purpose
- Theory and Methods of Educating Adults
- Critical Thinking in Adult Education
- Survey of Research Methods
- Quantitative Design and Analysis
- Qualitative Design and Analysis
- PhD Dissertation Research Seminar Track 1
- PhD Dissertation Research Seminar Track 2
- PhD Dissertation Research Seminar Track 3
Specialization Courses (32 credit hours)
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Educational Process
- International and Multicultural Perspectives in Postsecondary and Adult Education
- Classroom Assessment in Education
- Advanced Nursing Theory and Concepts
- Curriculum Design and Evaluation in Nursing Education
- The Nurse Educator: Faculty Roles and Responsibilities
- Teaching Strategies in Nursing Education
- Nursing Leadership and Professional Practice
Courses to be completed upon completion of all required coursework (15 credit hours)
- Doctoral Comprehensive Examination
- Dissertation Courseroom (Must be taken four times)
Elective Course (12 credit hours)
Students should complete the following courses:
- Administration and Leadership of Distance Education Programs
- Faculty Leadership
- The Future of Teaching and Learning: Issues for the Educational Leader
- Any graduate courses
Once the program requirements for Capella University's Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Nursing Education have been satisfied, students could be able to begin their job search. Hospitals and community health agencies could offer opportunities as could universities and educational consulting firms. Listed below are a few potential career paths graduates might follow:
- Nurse educator
- Nurse education curriculum specialist
- Nurse clinician
- Director of continuing education
- Director of nursing
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!