Ed.D. in Early Childhood Education
Northcentral University's Doctor of Education in Early Childhood Education program emphasizes techniques and skills needed for teaching and interacting with young children. Learn more about this program here.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Education in Early Childhood Education
School Offering Program:
Previous experience in education or working with young children may be helpful. Students already holding a master's degree should meet admission requirements. Applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs should already possess a bachelor's degree.
The Doctor of Education program at Northcentral University is designed to give students the chance to develop skills to improve their professional practice of education. Students may develop or enhance their communication, teaching, and assessment skills. Core coursework in the program includes research design and methodology, research strategies, and scholarly writing techniques. The specialization in early childhood education emphasizes children's growth and development at young ages. Students also learn about curriculum development and program administration.
Total Credits Required:
Minimum of 54 credits
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loan or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Doctor of Education in Early Childhood Education:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Doctor of Education Foundation Courses (24 credits)
- EDU 8000: Foundations for Graduate Study in Education
- EDU 8001: Advanced Scholarly Writing
- EDR 8200: Scholarly Literature Review
- EDR 8203: Research Methods
- EDR 8201: Statistics I
- EDR 8204: Advanced Qualitative Design and Measurement
- EDR 8205: Advanced Quantitative Design and Measurement
- One additional Specialization or Elective Course
Early Childhood Education Specialization Courses (15 credits)
Choose five courses from the following:
- ECE 7001: Topics in Early Childhood Education
- ECE 7002: Topics in Early Childhood Growth, Development, and Educational Programs
- ECE 7003: Topics in Early Childhood Program Administration
- ECE 7005: Early Childhood Curriculum and Assessment
- ECE 7007: Early Childhood Literacy and Literature
- ECE 7009: Families, Communities, and Schools as Partners in Early Childhood Education
- CT 7004: Language and Literacy Education
- CT 7005: Literacy: Focus on Curriculum
Doctoral Comprehensive Examination (3 credits)
- CMP 9700E: Doctoral Comprehensive Assessment: Pre-Candidacy Prospectus
Dissertation Requirements (12 credits)
- DIS 9901A: Components of the Dissertation
- DIS 9902A: The Dissertation Proposal
- DIS 9903A: Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Data Collection
- DIS 9904A: The Dissertation Manuscript and Defense
Post Graduation Opportunities
In this program, students have the opportunity to develop skills in creating curriculum and assessing students. The concentration gives students the chance to understand how education is different in an early childhood setting. These skills may prepare students for a number of positions. Possible positions graduates could pursue include:
- Preschool instructor
- Early childhood program manager
- Early childhood curriculum developer
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!