Northcentral University | PhD in Education - E-Learning
The Ph.D. in Education with a specialization in E-Learning program is designed to provide learners with an understanding of how to develop effective online instructional curricula. Read more about this Northcentral University doctoral degree program here.
Official Program Name:
Ph.D. in Education with a specialization in E-Learning
School Offering Program:
Individuals interested in this program may be practicing primary, secondary, or postsecondary teachers seeking to keep abreast of technological innovations in education. Experience using computers, navigating the Internet, or utilizing Blackboard platforms could prove helpful. Applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs should already possess a bachelor's degree; some programs may have additional requirements.
Individuals enrolled in this Northcentral University program have the chance to examine methods for developing inclusive and effective computer-based curricula. Students will have the opportunity to explore techniques for managing synchronous and asynchronous online classrooms and see how online programs can facilitate child and adult learning. In addition, the curriculum is intended to explore proprietary and legal issues that have become more relevant with the rise of distance learning programs, such as content exclusivity. What's more, students will have the opportunity to gain hands-on skills in the creation of instructional e-learning activities as well as complete a final dissertation project.
Program Length/Total Credits Required:
This program may be completed in 60-75 credit hours, depending on the time needed to complete dissertation research. Generally, students have up to seven years to complete this Northcentral University program.
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loan or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Courses are offered every 8 weeks, so you can find the session that works best for your schedule. Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Financial aid opportunities are unique to each studentâs circumstances. Complete the form to the right to speak with an admissions representative to learn more about Northcentral Universityâs programs, cost, and start dates.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Ph.D. in Education with a Specialization in E-Learning:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Doctor of Education Foundation Courses (24 credits)
- EDU 8000: Foundations for Graduate Study in Education
- EDU 8001: Advanced Scholarly Writing
- EDR 8200: Scholarly Literature Review
- EDR 8203: Research Methods
- EDR 8201: Statistics I
- EDR 8202: Statistics II
- EDR 8204: Advanced Qualitative Design and Measurement
- EDR 8205: Advanced Quantitative Design and Measurement
- One additional Specialization or Elective Course
E-Learning Specialization Courses (18 credits)
Students select six courses from the following list:
- EL 7001 - Principles and Practices in E-Learning (Foundation Course)
- EL 7002 - E-Learning Instructional Strategies
- EL 7003 - Instructional Design and Engaging E-Learning Activities
- EL 7004 - The Online Learner
- EL 7006 - Facilitating Adult Learning Online
- EL 7007 - Developing Online Content Ethically and Legally
- EL 7010 - Online Learning for the PK-12 Students
Doctoral Comprehensive Examination (3 credits)
- CMP 9700E: Doctoral Comprehensive Assessment: Pre-Candidacy Prospectus
Dissertation Requirements (12 credits)
- DIS 9901A: Components of the Dissertation
- DIS 9902A: The Dissertation Proposal
- DIS 9903A: Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Data Collection
- DIS 9904A: The Dissertation Manuscript and Defense
Post Graduation Opportunities
After earning a Ph.D. in Education with a specialization in E-Learning degree, graduates could seek opportunities with bricks-and-mortar schools or online learning institutions. Opportunities could also be sought with business organizations, consulting firms, or government agencies. Graduates who are existing educators could be able to undertake roles developing, implementing, or directing instructional technology programs.
With this Northcentral University degree, graduates could be able to seek work as:
- College instructors
- E-learning instructional designers
- Corporate e-learning managers
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!