PhD in Education - Higher Education Leadership
Students interested in pursuing a leadership role in an educational environment may be interested in Northcentral University's Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Leadership in Higher Education program. Learn more about this program here.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Leadership in Higher Education
School Offering Program:
Students must already hold a master's degree from a regionally accredited university. Previous work experience or academic work in education may be helpful. Applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs should already possess a bachelor's degree.
Northcentral University's Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Leadership in Higher Education emphasizes academic research, scholarship, and systematic inquiry in the field of education. The program is designed to give students the chance to enhance their communications skills and competencies, including oral, written, computer literacy, and interpersonal communications. The program is professionally relevant and intellectually stimulating. The higher education leadership specialization emphasizes the ethical, legal, and practical challenges of leadership in an educational environment.
Total Credits Required:
Minimum of 60 credit hours
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loan or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a Specialization in Leadership in Higher Education
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Doctor of Education Foundation Courses (24 credits)
- EDU 8000: Foundations for Graduate Study in Education
- EDU 8001: Advanced Scholarly Writing
- EDR 8200: Scholarly Literature Review
- EDR 8203: Research Methods
- EDR 8201: Statistics I
- EDR 8202: Statistics II
- EDR 8204: Advanced Qualitative Design and Measurement
- EDR 8205: Advanced Quantitative Design and Measurement
- One additional Specialization or Elective Course
Leadership in Higher Education Specialization Courses (18 credits)
Students choose six courses:
- LHE 7004: Organization and Governance of Higher Education
- LHE 7005: Legal Issues in Higher Education
- LHE 7006: Student Affairs Leadership
- LHE 7007: Strategic Enrollment Leadership
- LHE 7008: Higher Education Finance
- LHE 7010: Current Trends and Topics in Higher Education
- LHE 7011: Foundations of Higher Education Leadership
- LHE 7012: Strategic Planning & Institutional Effectiveness in Higher Education
- LHE 7013: Community College Curriculum and Program Development
- LHE 7014: Introduction to the Community College
Doctoral Comprehensive Examination (3 credits)
- CMP 9700E: Doctoral Comprehensive Assessment: Pre-Candidacy Prospectus
Dissertation Requirements (12 credits)
- DIS 9901A: Components of the Dissertation
- DIS 9902A: The Dissertation Proposal
- DIS 9903A: Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Data Collection
- DIS 9904A: The Dissertation Manuscript and Defense
Post Graduation Opportunities
This program may give students the chance to develop leadership and organizational development skills. These skills may prepare students for a variety of positions in higher education administration. Possible positions graduates could pursue include:
- Education Professor
- Student Affairs Director
- Education Researcher
- Educational Materials Designer/Producer
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!