PhD in Marriage & Family Therapy - Medical Family Therapy
Northcentral University's Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy with a specialization in Medical Family Therapy is designed for students who wish to gain a thorough understanding of the theory, practice, and ethics of therapy. Learn more about this degree program here.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy with a specialization in Medical Family Therapy
School Offering Program:
Students must already hold a master's degree from a regionally accredited university. Previous employment or academic experience in counseling or therapy may be helpful. Applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs should already possess a bachelor's degree.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy with a specialization in Medical Family Therapy program is designed to give students the chance to develop the skills and knowledge they'll need to practice therapy effectively. Core coursework includes instruction in ethics, professional development, evaluation, and case management. Courses in the medical family therapy specialization include family dynamics, quantitative and qualitative research strategies, death and dying, and more. To complete the Doctor of Philosophy degree program, students must conduct original research and complete a dissertation project.
Total Credits Required:
Minimum of 69 credit hours
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loan or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy with a Specialization in Medical Family Therapy
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Doctor of Philosophy Foundation Courses (42 credits)
- FT 7101: Foundations for Doctoral Study in MFT
- MFT 7102: Scholarly Writing in MFT
- MFT 7103: Research Methods in MFT
- MFT 7104: Statistical Design for MFT Research
- MFT 7105: Assessment in MFT Research and Intervention
- MFT 7106: Quantitative Research Design in MFT
- MFT 7107: Qualitative Research Design in MFT
- MFT 7108: Advanced Data Analysis Strategies in MFT
- MFT 7109: Planning Dissertation Research in MFT
- MFT 8951: MFT Doctoral Practicum I
- MFT 8961: MFT Doctoral Internship I
- MFT 8962: MFT Doctoral Internship II
- MFT 8965: MFT Doctoral Internship and Portfolio
- MFT 8970: MFT Supervision
Specialization Courses (18 credits)
- MFT 8101: Advanced Theories in MFT
- MFT 8102: Dynamics of Family Interaction
- MFT 8401: Medical Family Therapy
- MFT 8405: Medical Family Therapy Applications
- MFT 8406: Families, Health, and Illness
- MFT 8407: Loss and Bereavement
Doctoral Comprehensive Examination (3 credits)
- CMP 9700M: MFT Doctoral Comprehensive Examination
Dissertation Requirements (12 credits)
- DIS 9901A: Components of the Dissertation
- DIS 9902A: The Dissertation Proposal
- DIS 9903A: Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Data Collection
- DIS 9904A: The Dissertation Manuscript and Defense
Post Graduation Opportunities
In this program, students may develop knowledge of how to effectively practice therapy. Students may learn about how to conduct scholarly research, how to assess patients, and how to manage patient cases. Possible positions graduates could pursue include:
- Family therapist
- Medical therapist
- Family therapy researcher
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!