PhD in Psychology - Gender Diversity Studies
The Ph.D. in Psychology with a specialization in Gender Diversity Studies curriculum is designed to examine issues specific to familial roles, gender classes, sexuality, and sexual orientation. Read more about this Northcentral University graduate degree program here.
Official Program Name:
Ph.D. in Psychology with a specialization in Gender Diversity Studies
School Offering Program:
Individuals interested in applying to this program may have a background in social work or family counseling. Previous courses in cultural diversity, sociology, sexuality, and mental health may prove helpful. Applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs should already possess a bachelor's degree; some programs may have additional requirements.
Students enrolled in this Northcentral University program have the opportunity to gain a thorough grasp of the various emotional, sociological, and physical factors that may affect sexual identification and preference. Participants have the chance to explore issues commonly affecting female, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender populations. They also have the opportunity to explore archetypal roles within family units as well as traditional concerns that couples and families may face. The curriculum is designed to review professional ethics as well as field-specific counseling strategies. In addition, students have the chance to strengthen their professional research and writing skills the completion of a final dissertation.
Program Length/Total Credits Required:
This program requires the completion of at least 60 post-master's degree credits; however, up to 75 credits are allowed for dissertation research.
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loan or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Ph.D. in Psychology with a Specialization in Gender Diversity Studies:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Doctor of Philosophy Foundation Courses (30 credits)
- PSY 7101: Foundations for Doctoral Study in Psychology
- PSY 7102: Scholarly Writing and Professional Communication in Psychology
- PSY 7103: Research Methods
- PSY 7104: Statistics I
- PSY 7105: Tests and Measurements
- PSY 7106: Quantitative Research Design
- PSY 7107: Statistics II
- PSY 7108: Qualitative Research Design
- PSY 7109: Planning Dissertation Research in Psychology
- CMP 9701P: Pre-Candidacy Prospectus
Gender Diversity Studies Requirements (18 credits)
- PSY 8200: Sexual Issues
- PSY 8201: Dynamics of Family Interaction
- PSY 8206: Sex, Sexuality, and Power Dynamics
- PSY 8203: Psychology of Gender
- PSY 8204: Psychological Aspects of Gender Variance
- PSY 8205: Psychology and the Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Population
Dissertation Requirements (12 credits)
- DIS 9901A: Components of the Dissertation
- DIS 9902A: The Dissertation Proposal
- DIS 9903A: Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Data Collection
- DIS 9904A: The Dissertation Manuscript and Defense
Post Graduation Opportunities
While requirements vary by state, graduates of this program who meet additional agency or organizational requirements may be able to pursue industry credentials to work as counseling professionals. Opportunities could be sought with mental health organizations, social service agencies, businesses, or postsecondary educational institutions.
With a Ph.D. in Psychology with a specialization in Gender Diversity Studies, graduates could be able to find employment as:
- Women's studies professors
- Psychology instructors
- Gender studies researchers