Career Diploma: Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck Maint.
Penn Foster Career School's Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck Maintenance Career Diploma Program is designed to provide students with a comprehensive introduction to the mechanics of diesel engines. Read more about the Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Tuck Maintenance Program here.
Official Program Name:
Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck Maintenance
School Offering Program:
Penn Foster Career School
Penn Foster Career School's Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck Maintenance Career Diploma Program gives enrolled students the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of diesel truck and bus systems. The course consists of 10 instruction sets. The curriculum covers computerized bus and truck systems, diesel engines, and heavy vehicle fuel injection. In addition, three sections are dedicated to truck wheels, suspension, braking systems, and transmissions.
Program Materials Supplied by Penn Foster Career School
Penn Foster supplies all of the materials students need to complete the Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck Maintenance Career Diploma Program, including books, lessons, equipment, and learning aids. After completing all program requirements, students are also given a test preparation kit for the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) exam.
Penn Foster offers low tuition, 0% APR financing, and affordable monthly payments to be completed upon graduation.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck Maintenance Career Diploma:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Penn Foster Career School to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- Instruction Set 1
- Learning Strategies
- Introduction to Diesel Truck Mechanics
- Instruction Set 2
- Diesel Engine Fundamentals, Part 1
- Diesel Engine Fundamentals, Part 2
- Diesel Engine Fundamentals, Part 3
- Diesel Engine Fundamentals, Part 4
- Instruction Set 3
- Hydromechanical Diesel Fuel Injection Systems, Part 1
- Hydromechanical Diesel Fuel Injection Systems, Part 2
- Hydromechanical Diesel Fuel Injection Systems, Part 3
- Instruction Set 4
- Computerized Truck and Bus Systems Management, Part 1
- Computerized Truck and Bus Systems Management, Part 2
- Computerized Truck and Bus Systems Management, Part 3
- Instruction Set 5
- The Basics of Truck Electricity and Electronics
- Batteries and Starting Systems
- Instruction Set 6
- Charging, Lighting, and Instrumentation Systems
- Ignition and Computer Systems
- Instruction Set 7
- Truck Wheels
- Truck Steering Systems
- Instruction Set 8
- Truck Suspension Systems
- Air Suspension and Wheel Alignment
- Instruction Set 9
- Truck Brake Systems, Part 1
- Truck Brake Systems, Part 2
- Truck Brake Systems, Part 3
- Instruction Set 10
- Clutches and Standard Transmissions
- Automatic Transmissions
- Allison Transmissions
- Drive Shafts and Axles
- HVAC Systems
Furthering Your Education:
Students who complete the Penn Foster Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck Maintenance Career Diploma Program may wish to further their education by pursuing an associate degree or formal apprenticeship in the field. Earning a degree may present further opportunities for career advancement.
Degree possibilities include, (but are not limited to):
- Associate of Science in Diesel Heavy Vehicle Technology
After earning a Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck Maintenance Career Diploma from Penn Foster Career School, students will be prepared to pursue work in an existing repair shop or start their own repair business.
Entry-level positions that graduates might pursue include:
- Repair shop assistant
- Light technician