BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
Purdue University Global's Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Homeland Security program is designed to prepare students for one of many careers offered within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security or other law enforcement and security agencies. Learn more about Purdue University Global's BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security program here.
Official Program Name:
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Homeland Security
School Offering Program:
Purdue University Global
Bachelor of Science
Prospective students looking into this program should have a strong understanding of U.S. laws and criminal justice processes. They should also have a keen eye to details and have excellent communication skills. Admittance requirement for this program include a high school diploma, GED, or the equivalent.
Students of Purdue University Global's online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with an emphasis in Homeland Security program have the opportunity to study introductory and advanced topics in criminal justice, national security, and crisis intervention. Program coursework covers Department of Homeland Security operations, terrorism, security management methods, hostage negotiations, workplace and domestic violence, ethics, and criminal justice systems.
Program Length/Total Credits Required:
Financial Aid Available:
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Purdue University Global's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for an Advanced Start Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with an Emphasis in Homeland Security:
Coursework includes general criminal justice instruction on topics like criminal procedures, ethics in criminal justice, and importance of technology in the field. Concentration specific coursework will focus on homeland security topics like negotiation strategies, disaster management, and emergency management and recovery. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Purdue University Global to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Homeland Security Emphasis (24 credits)
- CJ 307: Crisis Management in Terrorist Attacks and Disasters
- CJ 355: Homeland Security
- CJ 407: Crisis Negotiation
- FS 320: Recovery Practices in Emergency Management
Major Requirements (64 credits)
- CJ 100: Preparing for a Career in Public Safety
- CJ 101: Introduction to the Criminal Justice System
- CJ 102: Criminology I 1
- CJ 210: Criminal Investigation
- CJ 212: Crime Prevention 1 OR
- CJ 233: Introduction to Forensic Psychology
- CJ 216: Computers, Technology, and Criminal Justice Information Systems 1
- CJ 227: Criminal Procedure
- CJ 230: Criminal Law for Criminal Justice 1
- CJ 340: Applied Criminal Justice Ethics
- CJ 345: Supervisory Practices in Criminal Justice OR
- CJ 444: Managing Criminal Justice Organizations
- CJ 490: Research Methods in Criminal Justice
- CJ 499: Bachelor's Capstone in Criminal Justice
Core Requirements (33 credits)
- 100/200-level: General Education Courses (3 courses)
- 100/200-level: Math Course
- 200-level: Arts and Humanities Course
- 200-level: Physical Science Course
- 200-level: Social Science Course
Open Electives Requirement (59 credits)
Post Graduation Opportunities
Furthering Your Education:
After completing Purdue University Global's Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with an emphasis in Homeland Security program, graduates could enhance their skills and expand their knowledge by entering a master's degree program. A graduate degree could lead to greater responsibilities or possible advancement in the law enforcement or security field.
Master's degree options for graduates include (but are not limited to):
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Master of Public Administration - Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Management
Graduates of Purdue University Global's Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Homeland Security program could pursue work with federal and state agencies, law enforcement departments, and security firms. They could apply investigative, conflict management, and critical thinking skills they might have developed in the program to a variety of positions in the field.
Positions graduates could pursue include:
- Criminal investigator
- Border patrol agent
- Airport security officer
- Cyber security analyst
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!