Purdue University Global | Master of Health Information Management
Purdue University Global's Master of Health Information Management degree program was created for individuals who would like to one day pursue supervisory and administrative positions in the field. Read on for program specifics and course requirements.
Official Program Name:
Master of Health Information Management
School Offering Program:
Purdue University Global
Students applying to Purdue University Global's Master in Health Information Management program should be interested in health information standards and policies, as they pertain to community health. Any student applying to a graduate program with Purdue University Global will need to provide an unofficial transcript that proves bachelor's degree program completion from an accredited institution.
Students who undertake Purdue University Global's Master of Health Information Management have the opportunity to study the design, implementation, and maintenance of global health information systems and prepare for leadership positions in health information management (HIM), education, and administration. These leadership positions might include compliance officer, clinical or administrative data quality manager, or medical records manager. The program also focuses on organizational development, financial management, human resources, statistics, project management, data analytics, law, and ethics as they relate to health care. Studies are conducted 100% online, allowing for the flexibility to earn the degree on one's own schedule. Purdue Global is recognized by the Healthcare Information Management and Systems Society (HIMSS) as an Approved Education Partner (AEP). HIMSS-approved educational programs provide advanced knowledge in health information and technology or health care and prepare candidates to sit for the CAHIMS or CPHIMS exam.*
48 credit hours.
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Purdue University Global's financial aid office for more information.†
* Students are responsible for understanding the requirements of optional certification exams. The University cannot guarantee students will be eligible to sit for or pass exams. In some cases, work experience, additional coursework beyond the Purdue Global program, fieldwork, and/or background checks may be necessary to be eligible to take or to successfully pass the exams.
† Financial aid is available to those who qualify. Financial aid awards vary depending on individual student eligibility and need.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for the Master of Health Information Management:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Purdue University Global to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Core Requirements (44 credits)
- Leadership in Health Care (4 credits)
- Health Care Financial Management (4 credits)
- Human Resources for Health Care Managers (4 credits)
- Health Care Statistics (4 credits)
- Health Information Systems (4 credits)
- Clinical Terminologies and Medical Vocabularies (4 credits)
- Project Management of Health Information Systems (4 credits)
- Organizational Development and Management for Health Information (4 credits)
- Health Care Data Analytics (4 credits)
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Health Information (4 credits)
- Master's Capstone in Health Information Management (4 credits)
Open Elective Requirements (4 credits)
- Students are required to complete at least 4 open elective credits.
Furthering Your Education:
Graduates of the Master of Health Information Management program may choose to pursue doctorate-level education. Doctorate-level degrees may appeal to those who want to participate in advanced research, organizational development in the health care industry, or leadership positions.
Purdue University Global's Master of Health Information Management offers students the opportunity to develop management skills related to data organization and compliance in the healthcare setting.
Students who graduate from this program may have interest in careers such as:
- Health information technician
- Medical records manager
- Clinical or Administrative data quality manager
- Health information management (HiM) documentation specialist
- Electronic medical records (EMR) consultant
Purdue Global cannot guarantee employment or career advancement. Prior experience may be necessary for leadership positions.
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!