Pharmacy Technician Certificate
Virginia College's Certificate - Pharmacy Technician program is designed to teach students how to assist licensed pharmacists in their daily activities. Read more about the Certificate - Pharmacy Technician program at Virginia College here.
Official Program Name:
Certificate - Pharmacy Technician
School Offering Program:
Students who wish to enter the Certificate - Pharmacy Technician program should have earned a high school diploma or the equivalent. They should also have some experience or an interest in working in a pharmacy setting.
Virginia College's Certificate - Pharmacy Technician program is designed to provide students with the skills needed to prepare, dispense, and package prescriptive medications. Topics covered in the program coursework include patient medication records, medication inventory control, pharmacy laws and ethics, medical terminology, and pharmacy computer operating systems. An externship course provides students with the opportunity to work with licensed pharmacists to gain hands-on experience in the field. The program is offered at four Virginia College campuses.
Total Credits Required:
60 quarter credit hours
Financial Aid Available:
The Virginia College Financial Planning Department is prepared to help discuss scholarships, Pell Grants, and student loans for those who qualify.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Certificate - Pharmacy Technician:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Virginia College to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- AOM 1010: Keyboarding (4 credits)
- BUS 1770: Customer Service (4 credits)
- EDU 1010: Learning Framework (4 credits)
- EDU 1020: Career Exploration/Planning (4 credits)
- MED 1010: Medical Terminology (4 credits)
- PHM 1000: Introduction to Pharmacy (4 credits)
- PHM 1050: Pharmacological Calculations (4 credits)
- PHM 1140: Pharmacy Law and Ethics (4 credits)
- PHM 1250: Community Pharmacy (4 credits)
- PHM 1260: Institutional Pharmacy (4 credits)
- PHM 1270: Intravenous Admixture and Sterile Compounding (4 credits)
- PHM 1810: Pharmacology I (4 credits)
- PHM 1820: Pharmacology II (4 credits)
- PHM 1950: Pharmacy Technician Certification Review (2 credits)
- PHM 2600: Pharmacy Technician Externship (6 credits)
Post Graduation Opportunities
Furthering Your Education:
Graduates of Virginia College's Certificate - Pharmacy Technician program could further their education with an Associate of Applied Science in Pharmacy Technology or with professional certification. Coursework completed in an associate's degree program could satisfy educational requirements needed to pursue a Doctor of Pharmacy degree.
Completion of Virginia College's Certificate - Pharmacy Technician program could allow graduates to apply compounding, dispensing, and customer service skills they might have acquired to positions in retail or hospital pharmacies. The program is also designed to prepare students for national and state certification exams. Graduates should check with their state for additional employment requirements.