BS in Health Information Management
After enrolling in Ashford University's Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management program, students have the opportunity to develop technical and managerial skills relevant to the management of electronic health records and other documentation. Read more about this online bachelor's degree here.
Official Program Name:
Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
School Offering Program:
Those seeking to enter Ashford University's Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management program might have an academic background in the physical sciences, computer science or allied health.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management program at Ashford University is designed to examine the U.S. health care system as well as provide students with an understanding of health information retrieval and storage, clinical coding systems and practices, patient reimbursement systems, and computer programming basics. Students will have the chance to take courses in medical terminology, health care statistics, business information systems, data analysis methods, and project management. In addition, they will have the opportunity to apply techniques and methods studied throughout the program in virtual and actual health care settings, the latter of which requires a total of 40 hours within a professional environment.
Ashford University offers students several payment options, including cash plans, employer tuition reimbursement, direct employer billing, and military tuition assistance. Qualifying students may be eligible for financial aid.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Ashford University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Major Course Requirements
- INF 103: Computer Literacy (3 credits)
- HCA 205: Introduction to Health Care (3 credits)
- INF 231: Programming Concepts (3 credits)
- HIM 105: Medical Terminology (3 credits)
- HIM 205: Anatomy and Physiology for HIM I (4 credits)
- HIM 206: Anatomy and Physiology for HIM II (3 credits)
- HIM 217: Electronic Health Records (3 credits)
- HIM 210: Pathophysiology (3 credits)
- HIM 250: Clinical Classification Systems I (3 credits)
- HIM 252: Legal Aspects of Health Information Management (3 credits)
- HIM 251: Clinical Classification Systems II (3 credits)
- HIM 310: Health Care Reimbursement (3 credits)
- HIM 301: Introduction to Health Informatics (3 credits)
- HIM 360: Health Care Statistics (3 credits)
- HIM 370: Professional Practice Experience I (3 credits)
- HCA 375: Continuous Quality Monitoring and Accreditation (3 credits)
- HIM 410: Health Informatics - A System Perspective (3 credits)
- HIM 420 Health Information Governance & Strategic Planning (3 credits)
- HIM 450: Health Care Management (3 credits)
- HIM 435: Analyzing Health Care Data (3 credits)
- HIM 440: Health Informatics Research Methods and Data Analysis (3 credits)
- HIM 445: Health Care Project Management (3 credits)
- HIM 495: Professional Practice Experience II (3 credits)
- Electives (8 credits)
Furthering Your Education:
Though completion of Ashford University's Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management program could lead graduates to pursue a number of employment opportunities in the field, some might wish to further their knowledge by earning a graduate degree. A master's degree could be necessary for career advancement purposes.
Upon successful completion of Ashford University's Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management program, graduates could pursue entry-level positions in the health care technology field. It is important to know that other positions may require additional certification.
Positions graduates could pursue include:
- Health information technology professional
- HIM technology trainer
- Health information management clerk
- Information design specialist
- Health informatics manager*
* The Bachelors of Science in Health Information Management is not accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). CAHIIM is an independent accrediting organization whose mission is to serve the public interest by establishing and enforcing quality Accreditation Standards for Health Informatics and Health Information Management (HIM) educational programs. Academic leadership will pursue programmatic accreditation for this program with CAHIIM after the program launches. Eligibility for students to sit for the RHIA certification examination is not available until the program receives Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) accreditation. Students should be aware that, if Ashford does not receive CAHIIM accreditation before they graduate, they will not be eligible to sit for the RHIA national certification exam.
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!