Capella University | MS - Education Innovation & Technology: Competency-Based Instruction
Capella University's Master of Science in Education Innovation & Technology with a specialization in Competency-Based Instruction is designed for education professionals who are interested in learning how to create and use technology and research-based assessments to design effective curriculum and standards. Read on to learn more about this master's degree program.
Official Program Name:
Master of Science in Education Innovation & Technology with a specialization in Competency-Based Instruction
School Offering Program:
It would be helpful for students interested in Capella University's Master of Science in Education Innovation & Technology with a specialization in Competency-Based Instruction to have experience in the education field, especially in the areas of understanding curriculum standards, outcome expectancies, and types of assessments. Applicants to Capella University graduate programs should have a bachelor's degree; some programs may have additional admissions requirements.
Integrating technology and field-based research into the development of effective teaching and learning plans are the main focuses of Capella University's Master of Science in Education Innovation and Technology with a specialization in Competency-Based Instruction program. In specialization courses, students have the opportunity to learn about topics like collaborative learning environments, understanding competency-based curriculum, using assessments and data-driven classrooms and innovating for the future of education. Several courses use research-based models as well as technology to dig deeper into required content. Foundations of education, leading change and integrating technology are some of the required core courses for this degree. Students will also have the opportunity to personalize their educational experience with two elective courses that delve into a range of topics including digital citizenship, adaptive instruction, and site-based initiatives.
46 quarter credits.
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Capella University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for the MS in Education Innovation & Technology with a specialization in Competency-Based Instruction:
To get this degree, students are asked to complete 11 required courses made up of 4 core courses, 5 specialization courses and 2 elective courses. Please note that some of these courses have prerequisites. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Capella University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Core Courses (16 credits)
- Foundations of Master's Studies in Education
- Leading Innovation and Implementing Change
- Integrating Technology into Data Assessment and Evaluation
- Teacher Dispositions and Ethics in the Digital Age
Specialization Courses (22 credits)
- Collaborative Learning Environments
- Understanding Competency-Based Curriculum and Instruction
- Authentic Assessments and the Data-Driven Classroom
- Adaptive Learning and Competency-Based Assessments
- Innovation and Technology Capstone
Elective Courses (8 credits)
- Choose two of the following:
- Instruction in the 21st-Century Classroom
- Digital Citizenship and Technology Applications
- Integrating Technology to Enhance Learning
- Personalized Learning: Instruction and Assessment
- Adaptive Instruction and Assessment
- Using Data to Personalize Instruction
- Instructional Coaching to Improve Teaching and Learning
- Planning and Implementing Site-Based Initiatives
- Choose any graduate course.
Furthering Your Education:
Graduates of Capella University's Master of Science in Education Innovation & Technology program may be interested in pursuing a doctoral degree or an education specialist degree. Earning any of these degrees could afford students additional career choices and the opportunity for increased responsibilities in the field of education.
Degree options for graduates include (but are not limited to):
- Doctor of Education in Digital Transformation
- Education Specialist in Personalized & Competency-Based Instruction Specialization
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Instructional Design for Online Learning
The Master of Science in Education Innovation and Technology with a specialization in Competency-Based Instruction program is designed to offer hands-on professional development infused with technology. Students have the opportunity to gain knowledge in order to design and create curriculum through action-based research data.
Entry-level positions graduates could pursue include:
- Competency-based learning specialist
- Assessment coordinator
- Curriculum specialist
- K-12 teacher
- Education consultant
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!