MSN - RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics (CCNE-accredited)
Capella University's Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with a specialization in RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics program is designed to provide RNs with an advanced education in health care technologies. Read more about this online MSN program here.
Official Program Name:
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with a specialization in RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics
School Offering Program:
Prospective students should hold a current RN license and possess strong computer, analytical, and organizational skills. Applicants to Capella University should have a high school diploma or equivalent; some programs may have additional requirements.
How are clinical health information systems designed and implemented? What is the life cycle of nursing informatics? What describes the use of data and databases in health care technology? The Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics at Capella University is designed to address these types of questions. Other topics likely to be discussed in the area of specialization include rules and regulations in health care informatics, electronic medical records, health care data interpretation, and project and change management principles relating to health care technology. A personalized practicum at a chosen field site is included in the specialization as well as in the core curriculum, providing students with the opportunity to participate in two clinical experiences. This program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Financial Aid Available:
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Capella University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with a specialization in RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics:
In addition to the 12 credits in required bridge courses, students of this MSN program must complete 34 credits in the core curriculum and 20 credits in the nursing informatics specialization. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Capella University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Required Bridge Courses (12 credits)
- Health Assessment and Promotion for Disease Prevention in Population-Focused Health
- Introduction to Nursing Research, Ethics, and Technology
- Leadership for Nursing Practice
Core Courses (34 credits)
- Communication, Collaboration, and Case Analysis for Master's Learners
- Health Care Law and Policy
- Economics and Decision Making in Health Care
- Evidence-Based Practice for Patient-Centered Care and Population Health
- Quality Improvement of Interprofessional Care
- Biopsychosocial Concepts for Advanced Nursing Practice 1
- Biopsychosocial Concepts for Advanced Nursing Practice 2
- MSN Practicum and Capstone
RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics Specialization Courses (20 credits)
- Principles of Nursing Informatics
- Health Informatics Systems Planning, Analysis, Design, and Build for Nursing
- Data Management and Health Care Technology
- Managing the Nursing Informatics Life Cycle
- MSN Practicum
Furthering Your Education:
Having earned the Master of Science degree in Nursing - RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics, graduates could decide to enter a doctoral degree program for further advancement in their careers. A doctorate would ordinarily be necessary for upper-level administrative positions in academics or research. Teaching at the postsecondary level could also require a doctorate.
Doctoral degrees graduates might be prepared to pursue include, but are not limited to:
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Doctor of Health Administration
- Doctor of Health Administration - Health Care Quality and Analytics
Once they earned the MS degree in Nursing - RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics, graduates could apply their instructional skills in college-level nursing classes or clinical training programs. They might seek work in hospitals, clinics, long- or short-term care facilities, home health care agencies, or the nursing departments of public or private colleges or universities.
Possible job titles for graduates include:
- Clinical informatics analyst
- Informatics nurse specialist
- Chief nursing informatics officer
- Clinical informatics coordinator
- Manager of health outcomes analytics
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!