PhD - Information Technology
Upper-tier leadership positions in information technology might well require a doctoral degree. Ambitious students might apply to Capella University's Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology. Read on for the online program's course requirements.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology
School Offering Program:
Those who want to take part in Capella University's online Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology program should enjoy the problem-solving process and have an analytical mind. They must excel at math and science and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Applicants to Capella University's programs should have a related master's degree; some programs may have additional admissions requirements.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology program at Capella University is designed to combine research, theory, and practice while encouraging students to apply leadership strategies and best practices in information technology. Students might also be able to learn about the ethical implementation of information technology processes. Coursework might dive into subjects like advanced writing, global environments in IT, and life cycle management processes as they pertain to information technology. The research-focused program includes a comprehensive examination and a dissertation requirement. A consulting practice seminar is also included, during which students might be able to develop a workable business plan.
Financial Aid Available:
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Capella University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology
Students in Capella University's Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology program will be required to earn 90 credits. The courses range from 3 to 6 credits each. Contact Capella University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Required Courses (90 credit hours)
- Research Processes, Theory, and Practice in Information Technology
- PhD Dissertation Research Seminar Track 1
- PhD Dissertation Research Seminar Track 2
- PhD Dissertation Research Seminar Track 3
- Foundations of Research, Scholarly Literature, and Theory in Management
- Survey of Applied Research Methods
- Quantitative Research Techniques
- Students choose one of the following:
- Advanced Qualitative Research
- Quantitative Research Techniques 2
- Leading Information Technology Strategic Planning in Complex and Global Environments
- Guiding the Implementation of Information Technology Policies and Processes
- Innovating Information Technology Life Cycle Management Processes in a Changing Environment
- Advancing Research in Information Technology Management
- Students choose one of the following:
- Information Technology Consulting Practice Seminar
- Teaching Practice Seminar in Information Technology
- Becoming an Academic Writer
Upon completion of all required coursework:
- Doctoral Comprehensive Examination
- Dissertation Courseroom
Individuals who complete Capella University's Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology program could have the credentials necessary to pursue leadership roles in information technology. They could seek out positions in corporations, colleges, aerospace companies, or health care organizations. Potential titles include the following:
- Lead systems analyst
- Systems administrator
- Director of information technology
- Senior IT consultant
- Vice president of information technology
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!