Grand Canyon University | BS in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Teaching Reading
The Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Teaching Reading program at Grand Canyon University is designed to prepare individuals for initial elementary teaching licensure while developing the skills needed to teach reading to K-6 students. Continue reading for more details about this 4-year degree program.
Official Program Name:
Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Teaching Reading
School Offering Program:
Grand Canyon University
An academic background in literature and language arts would be beneficial for aspiring students of this BS in Elementary Education program. Strong assessment and communication skills are essential, with courses emphasizing reading evaluation processes and the ability to instruct students in various subject areas. Applicants to Grand Canyon University should have a high school diploma or equivalent; some programs may have additional requirements.
From assessments to reading interventions, the Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Teaching Reading program at Grand Canyon University addresses all aspects of the roles and responsibilities of K-6 reading specialists. Specific courses in the major curriculum address instructional and intervention strategies for language arts and reading teachers; correctional practices for reading disabilities; literacy development in elementary students; and phonemic practices. Other classes are taken in special education, children's literature, collaborative learning, student engagement methods, child development theories, and instructional strategies for other subject areas, including mathematics, science, and social studies. The program includes a practical student teaching experience in an actual classroom. This program is designed to prepare students to achieve elementary teaching licensure in the state of Arizona.
Online and on-campus
Financial Aid Available:
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Grand Canyon University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Teaching Reading:
The majority (80) of the 120 credits needed to earn this bachelor's degree are taken in the major area of study; the remaining 34-40 credits are satisfied in the general education curriculum and, if needed, up to 6 credits in electives. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Grand Canyon University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
General Education Courses (34-40 credits)
- Students choose courses from the following competencies:
- University Foundations
- Effective Communication
- Christian Worldview
- Critical Thinking (below is a required course for this major):
- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I
- Global Awareness, Perspectives, and Ethics (below is a required course for this major):
- U.S. History Themes
Major Courses (80 credits)
- Child and Early Adolescent Development and Psychology
- Instructional Planning and Assessments for Elementary Teacher Candidates
- Survey of Special Education: Mild to Moderate Disabilities
- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II
- Children's Literature
- Fostering Student Engagement
- Creating and Managing Engaging Learning Environments
- Foundational Literacy Skills and Phonics
- Methods and Strategies for Reading Instruction
- Methods and Strategies for Teaching Mathematics
- Assessment and Remediation of Reading Proficiency
- Social Justice for Educators
- Arizona Constitution & Government
- Methods of Structured English Immersion for Elementary Education
- Research-Based Reading Development and Interventions
- Instructional Methods and Strategies for Integrating Science and Health
- Methods and Strategies for Integrating Social Studies and the Arts
- Methods and Strategies for Teaching English Language Arts
- Diagnosis and Remediation of Reading Proficiencies
- Student Teaching for Elementary Education Teacher Candidates
Open Elective Courses (0-6 credits)
- Students choose from any available GCU courses
Furthering Your Education:
While the BS in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Teaching Reading program is adequate to gain initial licensure and begin working in the field, those who aspire to more administrative positions in education or who wish to further expand their instructional capabilities in this subject area could choose to pursue a master's degree. At the master's level, students might learn more about curriculum development, assessment systems, and educational research.
Possible master's degrees for graduates of this program include, but are not limited to:
- Master of Education in Elementary Education
- Master of Arts in Reading Education with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- Master of Arts in English with an Emphasis in Education
Once they have successfully completed this BS in Elementary Education program and obtained necessary teaching licensure, graduates could pursue instructional opportunities in public or private schools. They could teach and evaluate K-6 reading students, conduct assessments of reading levels and disabilities, and implement literacy interventions.
Graduates could be prepared to fill the following roles:
- Reading specialist
- Instructional coach
- Reading interventionist
- Elementary education teacher
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!