Bachelor of Education in Middle Education - English
Aspiring middle school English teachers could build the instructional skills and knowledge of this content area when they study in Liberty University's Bachelor of Education in Middle Education with a specialization in English program. Find more details about this online BEd program here.
Official Program Name:
Bachelor of Education in Middle Education with a specialization in English
School Offering Program:
Those interested in enrolling in this program might have a strong academic background in English or language arts. They might display strong communication, organizational, and motivational skills. Liberty also asks applicants to submit an essay. Applicants to Liberty University should have a high school diploma or equivalent; some programs may have additional requirements.
Instructional methods, teaching strategies, and English topics such as grammar and literature are among the main studies provided in the online Bachelor of Education in Middle Education with a specialization in English program at Liberty University. In the cognate area, students could expect to review writing structure, form, and tone, grammar rules and structure, and early world literary works. Major courses provide study in instructional approaches for teaching in areas of science, mathematics, social science, reading, and language arts at the elementary and middle school levels. Other courses address behavioral management, middle school curriculum design, classroom technologies, biblical foundations of education, and diagnostic testing methods. 240 hours of fieldwork in actual middle school settings is achieved through a series of external practicums and supervised teaching experiences.
Financial Aid Available:
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Liberty University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Bachelor of Education in Middle Education with a specialization in English:
The requirements for this BEd program include nine credits in the cognate area, 26-36 credits in major education coursework, 9-13 credits in professional courses, and 26 credits in foundational classes. In addition, students must complete 39-42 credits in general education requirements and possible one credit in a free elective. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Liberty University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
General Education Requirements (39-42 credits)
- Speech Communication
- Composition and Rhetoric
- Composition and Literature
- Survey of American History I
- Elements of Mathematics
- Instructional Technology for Successful Online Learning
- American Literature I
- Christian Life and Biblical Worldview
- Western Culture
- Elements of Physics
- Developmental Psychology
- Survey of Old and New Testament
- Introduction to Theology Survey
Major Foundational Courses (26 credits)
- Principles of Biology
- Principles of Biology Laboratory
- Introduction to Geography
- Constitutional Government and Free Enterprise
- History of Western Civilization II
- History of Virginia
- College Algebra
- Elementary Geometry
- Elements of Earth Science
- Elements of Physics Lab
Major Core Middle Education Courses (26-36 credits)
- Introduction to Education and Classroom Technology
- Instructional Design: Elementary
- Instructional Approaches to Literature for Children and Adolescents
- Teaching Reading to Diverse Learners
- Teaching Elementary Language Arts
- Teaching Elementary and Middle School Social Science
- Teaching Elementary and Middle School Mathematics
- Teaching Elementary and Middle School Science
- Behavior and Individual Differences
- Foundations of Education
- Middle School Curriculum and Instruction
- Diagnostic Measurement and Evaluation
Practicum Courses (0 credits)
- Practicum in Education I: External
- Practicum in Education II: External
- Practicum in Education III: External
Professional Semester Courses (9-13 credits)
- Seminar in Classroom Management
- Supervised Student Teaching I
- Supervised Student Teaching II
English Cognate Courses (9 credits)
- World Literature I
- Students choose one of the following courses:
- Expository Writing
- Advanced Expository Writing
- Modern Grammar
Elective Courses (0-1 credits)
- Students choose 0-1 credit hours in free electives
Furthering Your Education:
While the Bachelor of Education in Middle Education with a specialization in English program could adequately prepare graduates to pursue licensure and teaching positions at middle schools, those who wish to advance to administrative positions might enroll in a master's degree program. A graduate degree is typically required for those seeking to fill such roles as principal, superintendent, department head, or curriculum director.
Master's degrees graduates could pursue include, but are not limited to:
- Master of Education
- Master of Science in Educational Leadership
- Master of Education - Administration and Supervision
- Master of Education - Reading Specialist Endorsement
Graduates of the BEd in Middle Education - English program could be prepared to create lesson plans and apply instructional strategies in public or private middle school English classrooms. This program provides Virginia state licensure for those who graduate.
Job titles for graduates could include:
- Private school teacher
- Homeschool teacher
- English curriculum coordinator
- Licensed middle education teacher
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!