BS in Information Technology - Gaming Design
Students seeking a career that combines their technical knowledge and interest in video games could develop the skills needed when they enroll in Liberty University's Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a specialization in Gaming Design program. Read more details here.
Official Program Name:
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a specialization in Gaming Design
School Offering Program:
Aspiring students should possess knowledge of basic computer functions and might have taken previous courses in computer science or information technology. They're also asked to write a personal essay. Strong creative, analytical, and problem-solving skills are helpful. Applicants to Liberty University should have a high school diploma or equivalent; some programs may have additional requirements.
Graphic design principles, digital art creation, and game development tools are among the main topics explored in the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a specialization in Gaming Design program at Liberty University. Gaming design courses provide studies in typography, graphic design tools, image manipulation, layout design, digitized art preparation, image-editing, motion graphics, storyboarding, and player controls. An optional internship allows students to apply methods and techniques covered in the program in professional settings. Major courses are likely to address such topics as website development, database administration, information security principles, operating systems, application programming, object-oriented programming, and business data communication systems.
Financial Aid Available:
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Liberty University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a specialization in Gaming Design:
Students of this BS in IT program must complete 48 credits in major coursework, 15 credits in gaming design courses, and nine credits in major foundational classes. In addition, they must take 39-42 credits in the general education curriculum and 6-15 credits in free electives. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Liberty University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
General Education Requirements (39-42 credits)
- Composition and Rhetoric
- Communications Elective
- Information Literacy Elective
- Information Literacy Elective
- Instructional Technology for Successful Online Learning
- Math Elective (MATH 114 or higher)
- Christian Life and Biblical Worldview
- Critical Thinking Elective
- Cultural Studies Elective
- Natural Science Elective
- Social Science Elective
- Survey of Old and New Testament
- Introduction to Theology Survey
Major Foundational Courses (9 credits)
- Intermediate Business Computer Applications
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics
- Organizational Behavior I
Major Core Courses (48 credits)
- Business Common Professional Components
- Introduction to Information Sciences and Systems
- Introduction to Computing Sciences
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Web Architecture and Development
- Advanced Object-Oriented Programming
- IS Hardware and Software
- Database Management Systems
- Business Data Communication Systems
- Studies in Information Security
- System Administration
- Integrative Programming and Technologies
- Introduction to Human-Computer Interaction
- Enterprise Systems and Integration
- Information Technology Capstone
- Principles of Macroeconomics
Gaming Design Cognate Courses (15 credits)
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Digital Imaging
- Introduction to 3D Graphics
- Interactive Game Development
- Students choose one of the following:
- C# Programming
Electives Courses (6-15 credits)
- Students choose 2-5 free elective courses
Furthering Your Education:
In many cases, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Information Technology - Gaming Design could be adequate for seeking mid-level management positions in the field. However, those who wish to advance to executive positions in the gaming industry might go on to pursue a master's degree. A master's degree could also be required for those who wish to teach IT courses at the postsecondary level.
Master's degrees graduates could pursue include, but are not limited to:
- Master of Fine Arts in Graphic Design
- Master of Science in Information Systems - Technology Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Software Design & Management
Once they have obtained the BS in Information Technology with a specialization in Gaming Design, graduates could be prepared to apply their managerial and technical skills to the development of electronic and video games. They might work for game manufacturing companies, technical consulting firms, or graphic design studios. They might assist with or oversee new game development, visual graphics design, or gaming software programming.
Jobs that could be of interest to graduates include:
- Graphics director
- Creative director
- Video game designer
- Video game design manager
- Mobile user interface designer
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!