Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy - Couple Therapy
Northcentral University's Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy with a Couple Therapy Specialization program is designed to prepare graduates to provide counseling to couples in a therapy setting. Read more about Northcentral University's Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy with a Couple Therapy Specialization program.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy with a Couple Therapy Specialization
School Offering Program:
Students considering enrolling in Northcentral University's Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy with a Couple Therapy Specialization program should have an interest in helping people navigate and overcome challenges in their relationships. Applicants to Northcentral University's doctoral programs should have a master's degree or the equivalent; some programs may have additional admissions requirements.
The Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy with a Couple Therapy Specialization program at Northcentral University is intended to prepare graduates to work with couples in a therapy setting to overcome challenges in their relationships. The coursework and training is designed from the family therapy and family systems perspective. Students in this doctoral program have the opportunity to learn through online coursework as well as hands-on experience with practicums in the students' own communities. A dissertation is also required to complete the program.
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Northcentral University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy with a Couple Therapy Specialization:
The Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy with a Couple Therapy Specialization program includes 20 core courses as well as four specialization courses. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Core DMFT Courses (48 credits)
- DMFT Foundations for Applied Doctoral Studies in MFT
- Scholarly Literature Review in MFT
- Program Development for MFTs
- Grant Writing Concepts and Approaches for MFT
- DMFT Portfolio I
- Research Methods in MFT
- Quantitative Research Design and Statistical Analysis in MFT
- MFT Supervision
- DMFT Portfolio II
- Doctoral Supervision Practicum or DMFT Doctoral Practicum
- Qualitative Research Design and Analysis in Marriage and Family Therapy MFT
- DMFT Doctoral Internship I
- DMFT Doctoral Internship II
- Program Evaluation and Monitoring in MFT
- DMFT Doctoral Internship and Portfolio
- DMFT Portfolio III
- Components of the Dissertation
- Dissertation Proposal
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Data Collection
- Dissertation Manuscript and Defense
Required Specialization Courses (12 credits)
- Systemic Sex Therapy
- Emotion and Differentiation Focused Couple Therapy
- Behavior Informed Couple Therapy Models
- The Couple Life Cycle in MFT Practice and Supervision
Northcentral University's Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy with a Couple Therapy Specialization program is designed to prepare graduates to provide counseling in a therapy setting, contribute to research in this field, and supervise or teach others pursuing a career in counseling.
Possible careers include:
- Mental health counselor
- Couple and family counselor
- Clinical supervisor
- Academic professor in the area of counseling and therapy
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!