MA in Marriage & Family Therapy: Child & Adolescent Family Therapy
Northcentral University's online Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy program with a specialization in Child and Adolescent Family Therapy is designed to prepare you to work with children and adolescents using a family systems-based approach. Learn more about this online master's degree program here.
Official Program Name:
Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy with a specialization in Child and Adolescent Family Therapy
School Offering Program:
This program is designed for professional development, so applicants should be focused on entering a career in marriage and family therapy and must submit a statement of intent, a licensure plan, current CV, and list of possible clinical sites. All applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs must already possess a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
The Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy (MAMFT) with a specialization in Child and Adolescent Family Therapy program offered at Northcentral University is designed to prepare students to work with children, adolescents, and their families in therapeutic settings. Students will have the chance to analyze a variety of therapy theories as well as learn methods for applying a family therapy systems approach and gain clinical skills. In the specialization courses, students can examine theories related to physical, social, and emotional development in youth as well as study diagnostic methods for psychological disorders that can occur in childhood and adolescence. Treatment decisions and individual and family systems-based intervention strategies for children are also covered. Students also need to complete a research course where they focus on issues related to working with children, adolescents, and families and complete a 100-hour clinical experience in an approved setting.
Total Credits Required:
The MAMFT program requires 45 credit hours; however, some students may need additional credit hours to meet specific state licensure requirements.
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loans or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy with a Specialization in Child and Adolescent Family Therapy:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Required Courses (27 credits)
- MFT 5101: Foundations for Graduate Study in MFT
- MFT 5102: Legal, Ethical, and Professional Development in MFT
- MFT 5103: Systemic Evaluation and Case Management
- MFT 5104: Treatment Planning and Traditional Family Therapy
- MFT 5105: Recovery-Oriented Care and Postmodern Family Therapy
- MFT 6101: Human Development and Family Dynamics Across the Lifespan
- MFT 6103: Cultural Diversity, Gender, and Family Development
- MFT6105: Couple and Sex Therapy
- MFT6106: Families in Crisis
Child and Adolescent Family Therapy Specialization Courses (9 credits)
- MFT 6550: Child and Adolescent Family Therapy: Historical and Theoretical Foundations
- MFT 6551: Child and Adolescent Family Therapy: Clinical Applications
- MFT 5106: Research Methods and Evidence Based Practice
Clinical Experience Requirements (9 credits)
- MFT 6951: MFT Practicum I
- MFT 6952: MFT Practicum II
- MFT 6991: MFT Internship I
- MFT 6992: MFT Internship II
- MFT 6995: MFT Internship and Capstone Presentation
Furthering Your Education:
Graduates of Northcentral University's Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy program with a specialization in Child and Adolescent Family Therapy may choose to continue their education by earning a doctoral degree program in counseling or marriage and family therapy. They may also choose to continue learning about child and adolescent therapy, or they may choose an additional specialization area. Potential degree programs include:
- Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy - General Family Therapy
- Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy - Child and Adolescent Therapy
- Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child and Adolescent Therapy
- Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy - Therapy with Military Families
Upon completing Northcentral University's Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy program, graduates may be able start the process to become licensed therapy practitioners in their states; exact licensure requirements vary by state. Potential job titles for graduates of the MAMFT Child and Adolescent Family Therapy program may include:
- Licensed marriage and family therapist
- Adolescent counselor
- Family services therapist
- School counselor
- Family intervention specialist
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!