MA in Marriage & Family Therapy: General Family Therapy
Northcentral University's online Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy program with a specialization in General Family Therapy is designed to train licensed, working marriage and family therapy practitioners. Learn more about the program here.
Official Program Name:
Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy with a specialization in General Family Therapy
School Offering Program:
This program is designed for professional development and training purposes, so applicants should be focused on entering a career in marriage and family therapy (MFT). Applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs must already possess a bachelor's degree.
Northcentral University's Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy (MFT) is designed to educate students according to a scholar-practitioner model, meaning that degree requirements cover both academic and practical training. In order to successfully complete the program, students must complete a minimum amount of supervised clinical client contact. Participation in video conferences is mandatory as well. Course topics include theory-based treatment planning, post-modern models of family therapy, legal and ethical issues in MFT, needs assessments, standard case management methods, sex therapy, family dynamics, and the psychiatric diagnostic classification system.
Total Credits Required:
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loans or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy with a specialization in General Family Therapy:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Required Courses (27 credits)
- MFT 5101: Foundations for Graduate Study in MFT
- MFT 5102: Legal, Ethical, and Professional Development in MFT
- MFT 5103: Systemic Evaluation and Case Management
- MFT 5104: Treatment Planning and Traditional Family Therapy
- MFT 5105: Recovery-Oriented Care and Postmodern Family Therapy
- MFT 6101: Human Development and Family Dynamics Across the Lifespan
- MFT 6103: Cultural Diversity, Gender, and Family Development
- MFT 6105: Couple and Sex Therapy
- MFT 6106: Families in Crisis
- MFT 5106: Research Methods and Evidence Based Practice
General Family Therapy Specialization Courses (6 credits)
Students are required to complete two content courses selected from any of the master's level MFT specialization courses.
Clinical Experience Requirements (9 credits)
- MFT 6951: MFT Practicum I
- MFT 6952: MFT Practicum II
- MFT 6991: MFT Internship I
- MFT 6992: MFT Internship II
- MFT 6995: MFT Internship and Capstone Presentation
Furthering Your Education:
After completing Northcentral University's Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy program with a specialization in General Family Therapy, graduates may choose to enter a doctoral degree program in family and marriage therapy or a related field. They could also choose a specialization in MFT to become an expert in that field, such as couple therapy, military families, or children and adolescents. Graduates might also be able to join professional organizations such as the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT). Potential degrees that graduates may be able to seek include, but are not limited to:
- Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage & Family Therapy - General Family Therapy
- Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage & Family Therapy - Couple Therapy
- Doctorate of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child and Adolescent Therapy
- Doctorate of Marriage and Family Therapy - Therapy with Military Families
Some graduates of Northcentral University's Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy with a specialization in General Family Therapy program may be able to become licensed clinical therapy practitioners in their state. Licensure requirements vary by state, and students in this program may have to take more than the minimum required credits in order to become licensed in their states. Potential job titles for graduates of Northcentral University's Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy program may include:
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
- Family Counselor
- Family Services Therapist
- Marriage Counselor
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!