Med in Reading Education
Northcentral University's Master of Education in Reading Education program prepares educators for advanced responsibilities and leadership positions while also helping them grow their skills in teaching literacy skills. Learn more about this online master's degree program here.
Official Program Name:
Master of Education with a specialization in Reading Education
School Offering Program:
Applicants to the MEd program with a specialization in Reading Education may be existing educators who are looking to advance their teaching and leadership skills. Applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs should already possess a bachelor's degree; some programs may have additional requirements.
Northcentral University's Master of Education with a specialization in Reading Education program is designed to provide educators with the skills and knowledge to build and improve the literary proficiency of students in grades K-12. Specialization coursework covers best practices for vocabulary, phonics, fluency, and reading comprehension as well as provides ideas for keeping students motivated and engaged. Additional courses cover historical, political, and cultural trends in literacy development as well as explore various reading assessment tools and practices. The program concludes with a capstone course where students complete an action research project.
Program Length/Total Credits Required:
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loan or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Master of Education with a Specialization in Reading Education:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Master of Education Foundation Courses (15 credits)
- EDU 5000: Foundations for Graduate Study in Education
- ED 5022: Educational Policies and Practices
- ED 5001: Contemporary Issues in Education
- ED 5034: School Community Relations
- ED 5023: Multicultural Relationships in Educational Organizations
Reading Education Requirements (12 credits)
Students select four from the following courses:
- RDG 5000: Theoretical and Research Foundations of Language and Literacy
- RDG 5001: Essential Elements of Elementary Reading and Writing Instruction
- RDG 5002: The English Language: Etymology, Elements, and Implications for Instruction
- RDG 5003: Vocabulary Instruction and Development for PK12
- RDG 5004: Reading Comprehension Instruction and Development: Skills and Strategies for PK12
- RDG 5005: Assessment of Reading and Writing Proficiency for PK12
Master of Education Capstone (3 credits)
- ED 6003: PK-12 Specialization Action Research Capstone
Furthering Your Education:
After completing the Master of Education with a specialization in Reading Education program, graduates could choose to continue their training by pursuing a higher-level degree. A doctoral-level program could allow students to study an additional subfield of education or prepare them postsecondary teaching positions. An advanced degree program could also prepare students for research or administrative positions. Some of the degree programs that graduates could consider include:
- Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Teaching
- Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership
- Ph.D. in Education - Instructional Leadership
- Ph.D. in Education - General Education
Northcentral University's MEd program in reading education could prepare graduates for advanced responsibilities in their current teaching position, or they could qualify for additional reading or literacy-specific positions. Possible career options for graduates of this program include:
- Reading Specialist
- K-12 Teacher
- Language Arts Teacher
- Reading Tutor
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!