PhD in Data Science
Potential students seeking a research-oriented degree program that provides an in-depth look at data science and information systems may want to consider Northcentral University's Doctor of Philosophy in Data Science program. Read about the details of this online PhD in Data Science program here.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Philosophy in Data Science (PhD-DS)
School Offering Program:
Potential applicants to NCU's PhD in Data Science program must have a master's or doctoral degree from an accredited university. They may also already have some experience in computer science or data administration as well as have strong analytical and computer science skills.
Students enrolled in the PhD in Data Science program will have the opportunity to develop an in-depth knowledge of data science and prepare to contribute to the field of data science research. The courses cover a range of topics, including the data science life cycle, Big Data analytics, and quantitative research design. Participants also have the chance to explore multivariate analysis, analytical outputs of data science projects, and the methods for designing and testing data research projects. In addition, students will complete and defend a dissertation where they demonstrate their data science knowledge.
This program may be completed in 60 credits. However, additional credit hours can be taken, if needed, to complete dissertation research.
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for the Federal Stafford Loan or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a PhD in Data Science:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Please contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
PhD in Data Science Courses
- TIM 8500: Principles of Data Science
- TIM 7200: Scholarly Communication for Technology Leaders
- TIM 8505: Quantitative Research Design
- TIM 8120: Distributed Systems
- TIM 7020: Databases & Business Intelligence
- TIM 8530: Big Data Integration
- TIM 8130: Data Mining
- TIM 8501: Quantitative Methods for Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
- TIM 8520: Predicting the Future
- TIM 8525: Multivariate Analysis
- TIM 8535: Current Topics in Quantitative Analysis
- TIM 7230: Qualitative Research Design & Methodology for Technology Leaders
- TIM 7240: Constructive Research Design & Methodology for Technology Leaders
- TIM 8540: Data Reporting
- TIM 8510: Data Visualization
- TIM 8590: Data, Information, and Knowledge Policy & Strategy
- CMP 9700DS: PhD-DS Portfolio
Doctoral Dissertation Courses (12 credits)
- DIS 9901A: Components of the Dissertation
- DIS 9902A: The Dissertation Proposal
- DIS 9903A: Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Data Collection
- DIS 9904A: The Dissertation Manuscript and Defense
Successful graduates of Northcentral's PhD in Data Science program could pursue positions in research, data analysis, or academia. Jobs could be found within a number of organizations, including the government, colleges and universities, healthcare organizations, retail corporations, and IT consulting firms. Some of job titles graduates could consider include:
- Data scientist
- Postsecondary teacher
- Data science researcher
- Senior data analyst
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!