Career Diploma - Veterinary Assistant
Penn Foster College's Veterinary Assistant Career Diploma Program is designed to provide students with a comprehensive introduction to animal care and veterinary medicine. Read more about Penn Foster's Veterinary Assistant Career Diploma here.
Official Program Name:
School Offering Program:
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College's Veterinary Assistant Career Diploma Program gives enrolled students the opportunity to learn the skills needed to work as a veterinary assistant. The course covers basic handling of animals, medical and body systems terminology, and the assistant's role in all stages of care, including anesthesia, surgical procedures, and hospice. The curriculum finishes with a module on the business of veterinary practice and includes record keeping, billing, communication issues, and office administration, followed by a required 8-week externship at an animal clinic.
Program Materials Supplied by Penn Foster College
Penn Foster supplies all of the materials students need to complete the program, including books, lessons, equipment, and learning aids.
Penn Foster offers low tuition, 0% APR financing, and affordable monthly payments to be completed upon graduation.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Veterinary Assistant Career Diploma:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Penn Foster College to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- Instruction Set 1
- Starting Your Program
- Learning Aid: eBook: Textbook for the Veterinary Assistant
- Instruction Set 2
- Introduction to Animal Care
- Handling and Restraint
- Instruction Set 3
- Introduction to Veterinary Terminology
- Skeletal and Muscular Systems
- Integumentary, Circulatory, and Respiratory Systems
- Instruction Set 4
- Digestive, Reproductive, and Urinary Systems
- Nervous System, Sensory Organs, and Endocrine System
- Instruction Set 5
- Reproduction, and Aging
- Avian and Reptile Anatomy
- History and Physical Examination
- Instruction Set 6
- Emergency Care
- Wound Care and Management
- Instruction Set 7
- Clinical Parasitology
- Small and Large Animal Nursing, Parts 1 & 2
- Veterinary Pharmacology
- Instruction Set 8
- Instrumentation and Principles of Aseptic Technique
- Surgical and Anesthetic Preparation
- Instruction Set 9
- Veterinary Practice and Administration
- Interpersonal Communication
- General Accounting Practices
- Veterinary Practice Procedures
- Instruction Set 10
Furthering Your Education:
Students who complete the Penn Foster Veterinary Assistant Career Diploma Program may wish to further their education by pursuing a degree in veterinary science. Earning a degree may present further opportunities for career advancement.
Degree possibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Associate of Veterinary Science
- Associate of Science in Veterinary Technology
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
Animal care is a widely varied industry with many possible career paths. Candidates with an understanding of animal handling and care may be competitive candidates for a number of animal-related career opportunities, including jobs that are not specifically in the health-care field.
Entry-level positions that graduates might pursue include:
- Animal hospital aide (public or private)
- Animal shelter assistant
- Zoo or animal handler assistant
- Animal groomer
- Pet shop personnel
- Animal boarding facility worker
- Animal trainer assistant
- Animal preserve worker
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!