request information


MA in Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling

Students interested in studying how to counsel and treat married couples and families may want to consider the Master of Arts in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling program offered at Regent University. Read more to find out about this graduate program.

Official Program Name:

Master of Arts in Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling

School Offering Program:

Regent University

Degree Level:


Program Prerequisites:

The Master of Arts in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling at Regent University is designed for students who are interested in providing faith- and science-based counseling services to adults, children, and adolescents. This program is intended for students possessing a 3.0 undergraduate GPA with a BA or BS in a psychology, counseling, or related field from an accredited university or college. All applicants to Regent University graduate programs should already have a bachelor's degree; some programs may have additional admissions requirements.

Program Description:

Regent University's MA in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling is designed to prepare students for careers as licensed therapists who work with people of all ages within a variety of relational dynamics. Students could learn theories in counseling, addiction therapies, multicultural counseling, and other ways to effectively counsel and treat patients. The program is intended to prepare its students for the state licensing exam. Students will have the option to take part in an internship that lets them work in a supervised professional environment focused on family, marital, and couples counseling. Online students might have the chance to participate in two residencies that offer networking opportunities and insight into licensure and national exams.

Learning Format:

On Campus and Online with Residency

Program Length:

60 credits.

Financial Aid Available:

Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Regent University's financial aid office for more information.

Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates

Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.

Still Have Questions?

Complete and get your answers and advice.

Required Courses for the Master of Arts in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling:

The MA in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling program requires 15 core courses, five program courses, one graduation requirement course and a residency for year one and two (for online students only). Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Regent University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.

Core Courses (45 credits)

  • Orientation to the Counseling Profession
  • Research & Statistics
  • Counseling Skills & Techniques
  • Practicum & Advanced Skills
  • Theories of Counseling
  • Assessment Techniques in Counseling
  • Addiction Therapies for Individuals and Families I
  • Career & Lifestyle Development
  • Psychopathology & Diagnosis
  • Human Growth & Development
  • Concepts of Family Systems
  • Group Counseling
  • Ethics, Professional Orientation & Legal Issues in Counseling
  • Multicultural Counseling
  • Counseling & Christian Thought

Program Courses (15 credits)

  • Marital & Couple Therapy
  • Models of Family Therapy
  • Theories of Human Sexuality
  • Internship in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling (A)
  • Internship in Marriage, Couple & Family (B)

Residency (0 credits; for online students only)

  • Residency Year One
  • Residency Year Two

Post-Graduation Opportunities

Furthering Your Education:

The MA in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling program could provide students with the foundation needed to continue their education at the post-master's or doctorate levels. An advanced certificate or degree might open doors for careers as faculty leaders, directors, executives, or researchers. Degree options for graduates might include:

  • Post-Master's Certificate in Marriage and Family Therapy
  • PhD in Counseling & Psychological Studies with a concentration in Marriage & Family Ministry
  • PsyD in Marriage and Family Therapy
  • Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy
  • Doctor of Psychology

Career Paths:

Graduates of the MA in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling program might be able to pursue licensed counseling or therapist roles in settings like churches, health facilities or public agencies. Their roles might include taking part in interventions and utilizing specific techniques to treat patients.

Graduates might be able to pursue careers that include:

  • Marriage and family therapist
  • Couples therapist
  • Senior staff therapist