BS in Criminal Justice
Students who are considering careers in criminal justice or law enforcement may want to consider the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice program offered by Southern New Hampshire University. Learn more about this online degree program and its specialization options here.
Official Program Name:
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
School Offering Program:
Southern New Hampshire University
The Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice program may be of interest to students who have a desire to increase their knowledge of the criminal justice system and prepare for employment in this field. All applicants to Southern New Hampshire University programs must have earned a high school diploma or equivalent.
SNHU's online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice program emphasizes firsthand experience and is taught by faculty members who can offer professional insights. Core courses cover topics ranging from American and international politics to juvenile justice and criminal law. Other courses provide an introduction to criminal justice professions and justice administration. In addition, students will have the opportunity to complete a general track or choose one of six specialization options: corrections, criminology, homeland security and counterterrorism, legal studies and advocacy, human services, and police administration and operations.
Financial Aid Available:
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Contact the SNHU Financial Aid office to learn more about your financial aid options.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice:
Criminal Justice Major Courses
- JUS 101: Introduction to Criminal Justice
- CJ 202: Writing for the Criminal Justice Profession
- CJ 104: Ethics and the Criminal Justice Leader
- CJ 300: Research Methods for Criminal Justice
- JUS 261: Judicial Administration
- JUS 305: International Criminal Justice
- JUS 331: Juvenile Justice System
- JUS 375: Criminal Law
- JUS 455: Legal Traditions
- CJ 480: Capstone in Criminal Justice
- Select four courses from the following or a concentration:
- CJ 303: Psychopaths, Sociopaths and Serial Killers
- CJ 330: Leadership/Management in Criminal Justice Organizations
- CJ 331: Effective Patrol and Community Policing
- CJ 332: Crisis Intervention for Police
- CJ 400: Crime Analysis and Effective Police Service
- CJ 401: Emergency and Disaster Management
- CJ 430: Terrorist Techniques
- CJ 467: Threat Assessment Fundamentals
- CJ 468: Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance
- CJ 469: Counterterrorism Techniques
- JUS 103: Correctional Systems
- JUS 201: Criminal Investigation
- JUS 215: The Victim and the Justice System
- JUS 224: Legal and Justice Research Methods
- JUS 309: White Collar Crime
- JUS 325: Law, Justice and Family
- JUS 429: Terrorism
- JUS 496: Administrative Law
- PSY 205: Forensic Psychology
- PSY 215: Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 310: Criminal Psychology
- SOC 324: Sociology of Crime and Violence
General Education Courses
- 12 credits of Foundation Area courses
- 24 credits of Exploration Area courses
- 9 credits of Integration Area courses
- 24 credits of free elective courses
Furthering Your Education:
SNHU's Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice program can also help prepare students for graduate studies. A master's degree could deepen their knowledge of the criminal justice system, prepare students to specialize in a specific criminal justice field, or allow them to pursue additional career options and responsibilities. Some related master's degrees are listed below:
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice Administration
- Master of Arts in Human Services
- Master of Arts in Public Administration
The Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice program at SNHU can help students prepare for a variety of careers related to the criminal justice system. They might apply to positions in law enforcement, social and community service, corrections, homeland security, and security and gaming surveillance.
Some positions graduates could consider include:
- Police Officer
- Corrections Officer
- Homeland Security Agent
- Parole Officer
- Gaming Officer
- Court Clerk
- Security Officer
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!