MA in English
Those interested in pursuing positions in publishing, public relations, advertising, corporate communications and education could benefit by enrolling in Southern New Hampshire University's Master of Arts in English program. Learn more about this online master's program here.
Official Program Name:
Master of Arts in English
School Offering Program:
Southern New Hampshire University
Students seeking to enter the Master of Arts in English program should have strong communication and analytical skills. They might have some professional experience in an academic setting or in a corporate communications department. All applicants to Southern New Hampshire University must have earned a bachelor's degree to seek admission into this master's program.
The curriculum of Southern New Hampshire University's Master of Arts in English program offers a diverse education in early and modern American and British literature, literary theories, and writing. The program could help students gain a deeper understanding of and appreciation for various forms of literature while developing composition, critical thinking, and communication skills. Course topics include the histories of American and British literature, theoretical concepts in writing, and the cultural, historical, and political impact of literature on early and contemporary environments. Graduate seminars are included in the curriculum to allow the closer examination of American, English, and global writers. In the program's final capstone course, students can choose to take an examination or produce a thesis.
Financial Aid Available:
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify in the forms of loans, scholarships, and grants. Contact the SNHU Financial Aid office to learn more about your financial aid options.
No application fee for April & June terms.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Master of Arts in English:
- LIT 500: Graduate Studies in Literary Theory
- LIT 502: Topics in American Literature
- LIT 503: Topics in British Literature
- LIT 652: Graduate Seminar in Global Literature
- ENG 550: Graduate Studies in English Language
- ENG 555: Composition Theory and the Teaching of Writing
- LIT 690: MA in English Capstone
- Choose one of the following:
- LIT 650: Graduate Seminar in American Literature
- LIT 651: Graduate Seminar in British Literature
- Choose one of the following American Literature courses:
- LIT 512: Graduate Studies in Early American Literature
- LIT 513: Graduate Studies in the American Renaissance
- LIT 514: Graduate Studies in American Realism and Naturalism
- LIT 515: Graduate Studies in 20th Century American Literature
- LIT 555: American Modernism
- Choose one of the following British Literature Before 1800 courses:
- LIT 506: Graduate Studies in Medieval Literature
- LIT 507: Graduate Studies in Renaissance and Restoration Literature
- LIT 508: Graduate Studies in 18th Century British Literature
- LIT 519: Graduate Studies in Shakespeare
- Choose one of the following British Literature After 1800 courses:
- LIT 509: Graduate Studies in Romantic Literature
- LIT 510: Graduate Studies in Victorian Literature
- LIT 511: Graduate Studies in Modern British Literature
- Choose one Alternative Perspective/New-Traditions course:
- LIT 528: Graduate Studies in Multi-Ethnic Literature
- LIT 530: Graduate Studies in Gender and Text
- LIT 545: Graduate Studies in Postcolonial Encounters
- LIT 550: Graduate Studies in the Black Literary Tradition
Furthering Your Education:
Graduates interested in pursuing a teaching career in a two- or four-year college or university may need to obtain a doctorate after completing the Master of Arts in English program. Doctoral degrees graduates could pursue include but are not limited to:
- Ph.D. in English
- Ph.D. in English Literature
- Ph.D. in English Language and Literature
Upon completion of Southern New Hampshire University's Master of Arts in English program, graduates could explore several career paths from positions in publishing, public relations, advertising, corporate communications and education.
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!