Doctor of Education - Higher Education (Self-Designed)
Walden University's online Doctor of Education with a specialization in Higher Education (Self-Designed) is intended to help students develop an EdD program in higher education that meets their professional needs. Learn more about Walden University's EdD program.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Education with a specialization in Higher Education (Self-Designed)
School Offering Program:
Applicants to the online Doctor of Education with a specialization in Higher Education (Self-Designed) program at Walden University must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and strong skills in research, critical thinking, and communication. Students thinking of applying should have experience or an interest in working in higher education, and an established professional direction. All applicants to Walden University's graduate programs must have a bachelor's degree; some programs may have additional admission requirements.
The online Doctor of Education with a specialization in Higher Education (Self-Designed) program at Walden University is created for students to design an academic program that conforms to their professional and higher education goals. Students have the chance to examine new developments in higher education and learn how to put that into practice in diverse learning environments. Learners may study subjects like higher education in the 21st century, managing resources, leading the future of education, and research theory. Students enrolled in the EdD in Higher Education online program could also explore how to further productivity through leadership and apply skills learned in the program's face-to-face, residency course.
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Walden University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for Doctor of Education with a specialization in Higher Education (Self-Designed):
Students enrolled in the online Doctor of Education with a specialization in Higher Education (Self-Designed) program at Walden University must complete 30 credits in core courses that encompass their foundation, research and specialization classes. Students must also complete one, face-to-face residency requirement, doctoral support courses, and a doctoral capstone. Students will also choose and complete 20 credits of elective courses focusing on higher education from select EdD and PhD in Education programs to fulfill degree requirements. Upon admission to the doctoral program, students must complete a doctoral writing assessment. Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Walden University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Doctoral Writing Assessment (0 credits)
- Students will be automatically enrolled upon admission to the following course:
- Doctoral Writing Assessment
Foundation Courses (5 credits)
- Students must take one of the following courses:
- Leading the Future of Education
- Leading the Future of Education (6-week version)
Research Courses (15 credits)
- Research Theory, Design, and Methods
- Quantitative Reasoning and Analysis
- Qualitative Reasoning and Analysis
Specialization Courses (10 credits)
- Higher Education in the 21st Century
- Managing Resources in Higher Education
Elective Courses (20 credits)
- Students will select four courses from the following EdD and/or PhD in higher education programs:
- Organizational Research, Assessment, and Evaluation
- A New Vision of Organizational Research, Assessment, and Evaluation
- Assessment, Evaluation, and Accountability: The Sociological, Political, and Economic Factors
- Assessing for Individual Growth
- Evaluating and Improving Programs, Organizations, and Systems
- Dynamics of Communication for Impact and Results
- Building a Culture of Continuous Improvement
- Education Leadership, Management, and Policy
- Leading and Managing Instructional Change
- Strategic Planning and Program Evaluation in Higher Education
- Education Law, Policy, and Governance
- Adult Learning
- Contemporary Issues and Trends in Higher Education and Adult Learning
- Understanding the Adult Learner
- Leadership of Higher Education Programs for Adult Learners
- Program Planning and Assessment
- Designing Instruction for eLearning
- Community College Leadership
- The Community College - Historical Content and Critical Issues
- Transformational Leadership for Institutional Effectiveness in Community Colleges
- Contemporary Issues, Challenges, and Trends in Community Colleges
- Promoting Student Development and Success in Community Colleges
- Organizational Research, Assessment, and Evaluation
- Students must complete one face-to-face residency by the end of Term 3:
- EdD Residency
Doctoral Support Courses (9 credits)
- Tools for Doctoral Research Success
- Demystifying Doctoral Writing for Research
- Completing the Prospectus
Doctoral Capstone (20 credits)
- Students must enroll a minimum of 4 times continuously in the following course:
- Completing the Doctoral Capstone
Graduates with a Doctor of Education with a specialization in Higher Education (Self-Designed) from Walden University should be able to apply advanced leadership and research skills in diverse higher education settings to improve the quality of learning and instruction. Graduates will be able to use their deeper understanding of trends and theories in a classroom, college environment, government, or the non-profit sector. Graduates may be interested in the following career paths:
- Teacher PreK-12 / Higher Education
- Education administrator
- Training manager
- Director of instruction/education
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!