PhD in Education - Higher Education Leadership, Management & Policy
The online Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Higher Education Leadership, Management, and Policy program from Walden University is designed to advance students' knowledge of the systems and policies used in the organization and operation of an effective institution of higher learning.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Higher Education Leadership, Management, and Policy
School Offering Program:
Applicants to the Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Higher Education Leadership, Management, and Policy online program at Walden University will need a strong desire to know the workings of a higher education institution, or they may already be a professional in higher education. Students must possess a 3.0 GPA or higher and a master's degree. Established skills in communication, leadership, and management are beneficial to success in this program. All applicants to Walden University's doctoral programs must have a master's degree; some programs may have additional admission requirements.
Institutions of higher learning and their systems is the focus of Walden's online Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Higher Education Leadership, Management, and Policy program. This program is designed to examine the systems of higher education and how they affect the learning and development of the student and the overall effectiveness of the institution. Those enrolled will explore subjects related to education law, politics and policymaking, strategic planning in higher education, and program evaluation. The PhD in Education program at Walden offers students the chance to learn the basics of higher education and how to lead an organization into effective changes by putting theory and research into practice.
Eligible students could be able to receive financial aid in the forms of grants, loans, and scholarships. Contact Walden University's financial aid office for more information.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Higher Education Leadership, Management, and Policy:
To complete the requirements for the online Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Higher Education Leadership, Management, and Policy program at Walden University, students must participate in four, four-day residencies and a doctoral dissertation as their capstone. Students are asked to take 30 credits in specialization courses focusing on higher education in addition to a foundation course. Core and advanced research courses are part of this curriculum to support the dissertation process. Contact Walden University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Doctoral Writing Assessment (0 credits)
- Students will be automatically enrolled upon admission to the following course:
- Doctoral Writing Assessment
Foundation Courses (5 credits)
- Students must take one of the following courses:
- Leading the Future of Education
- Leading the Future of Education (6-week version)
Specialization Courses (30 credits)
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment: A Systems Perspective
- Data-Driven Instruction and Assessment
- Evaluating Curriculum to Promote Positive Social Change
- Program Evaluation for Continuous Improvement
- Examining Current Practices in Higher Education Leadership, Management, and Policy
- Research Development and Strategic Planning.
Core Research Courses (15 credits)
- The following course must be completed before Residency 2:
- Research Theory, Design, and Methods
- The following courses must be completed before Residency 3 or beginning the dissertation:
- Quantitative Reasoning and Analysis
- Qualitative Reasoning and Analysis
Doctoral Support Courses (11 credits)
- Tools for Doctoral Research Success
- Demystifying Doctoral Writing for Research
- Writing a Quality Prospectus
Advanced Research Course (5 credits)
- Students choose one of the following courses upon approval of the prospectus:
- Advanced Quantitative Reasoning and Analysis
- Advanced Qualitative Reasoning and Analysis
- Advanced Mixed-Methods Reasoning and Analysis
Doctoral Capstone (20 credits)
- Students must enroll a minimum of 4 times continuously in the following course:
- Completing the Dissertation
Residency Requirement (16 Units)
- Students must complete 4 PhD residencies:
- PhD Residency
Graduates from Walden's Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a specialization in Higher Education Leadership, Management, and Policy online program have the ability to evaluate organizations of higher learning like community colleges, four-year universities, government agencies, and institutions for remote learners. Degree holders could examine systems and practices in higher education and bring about progress and change. Graduates may be interested in the following career paths:
- Education administrator
- Director of education
- Associate professor of education
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!