Psychology Certificate Programs in New Hampshire with School Info

Research psychology-related certificates in New Hampshire, which currently has three universities offering programs. Read an overview of the certificates, tuition information and program options for these schools and decide which program is right for you.

View popular schools

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Behavioral Sciences, General
  • Biopsychology
  • Clinical Psychology, General
  • Cognitive Psychology and Psycholinguistics
  • Cognitive Science
  • Community Psychology
  • Comparitive Psychology
  • Counseling Psychology, General
  • Environmental Psychology
  • Experimental Psychology
  • Family Psychology
  • Forensic Psychology, General
  • Industrial and Organizational Psychology
  • Medical Psychology
  • Personality Psychology
  • Physiological Psychology
  • Psychology, General
  • Psychometrics and Quantitative Psychology
  • Social Psychology

Essential Information

New Hampshire does not have any schools that offer certificate programs specifically geared toward general psychology. However, there are a few schools in the state that offer certificate programs in the closely related fields of clinical mental health counseling, marriage and family therapy, and school psychology. Professional practitioners in each of these fields are required by law to be officially licensed, as are general psychologists.

The New Hampshire programs lead to certificates at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Some are designed to give specialized training to currently licensed practitioners. Graduate-level certificates are only open to those holding baccalaureate degrees in a directly related field. Training workshops, seminars, and/or internship opportunities may be offered by some schools. Some programs offer flexible learning options, like weekend or online classes, and may be completed in about a year to two years.

Antioch University - New England (AUNE)

Located in Keene, AUNE offers prospective students two graduate-level certificate programs related to the broad field of psychology. The 12-credit autism spectrum disorders program is designed to provide specialized training to practicing psychologists, counselors, educators and occupational therapists in the diagnosis and treatment of individuals with specific types of autism. Students learn through training workshops and lecture-based courses. The program requires students to attend classes one weekend every three to four weeks for a total of 10 months. AUNE also offers a similar certificate program in applied behavioral analysis that is specifically designed for training professionals in the direct treatment of autism.

The 30-credit marriage and family therapy certificate program is designed for working professionals who hold a graduate degree in counseling and are looking to become licensed therapists. Students learn through in-class lectures and online courses that can be taken at their own pace. The 30-credit program includes courses in psychopathology, social justice and cultural diversity and provides students with the training needed for marriage and family therapy licensure in several states.

Plymouth State University (PSU)

Plymouth-based PSU has two graduate certificate programs for students interested in clinical mental health counseling and school psychology. The clinical counseling certificate is designed for two different groups of potential students: those who have a graduate degree in counseling but have not met the state requirements for counseling licensure, and those who are already licensed but want to expand their specialized knowledge or obtain a leadership role in the field. The program consists of at least 10 courses for a total of 33 credits. Course topics range from legal issues to quantitative methods to psychopharmacology. Students planning to use the program to obtain licensure must consult with a faculty advisor to ensure their plan of study meets New Hampshire's licensing requirements.

The school psychology certificate program is meant for students who currently hold a master's degree. The program includes a minimum of 33 credits, but may require as many as 57 credits depending on the type of master's degree held by the prospective student. The last component of the program consists of a capstone learning experience involving an internship and participation in a seminar course. This certificate program can help students meet the psychology licensing requirements in New Hampshire.

Rivier University

Nashua's Rivier University provides interested students with two advanced graduate certificate options in the fields of mental health counseling and school psychology. The mental health counseling program is designed for working professionals who have obtained a master's degree and want to gain advanced clinical training. The structure of the program aims to prepare students for state licensure but does not offer the necessary supervised work experience. In addition to several required and elective courses, students must also complete 12 credits of internship and seminar experience-based courses. Prerequisite coursework may be required if certain classes weren't completed at the master's-degree level.

The university's school psychology certificate program is specifically designed for students who want to work as school psychologists and already have a master's degree in a field related to counseling. The program meets the standards of the New Hampshire Board of Education's educational certification. The program consists of 46 credits - not including any prerequisite courses a student may need - and features courses on learning disabilities, cognitive assessment, language acquisition and multicultural perspectives. Students may complete the required internship and seminar credits on a part- or full-time basis.

Career Requirements

The state of New Hampshire requires practicing psychologists, mental health counselors and therapists to be licensed by the New Hampshire Board of Mental Health Practice. To qualify for licensure as a psychologist, an individual must hold a doctoral degree from an accredited institution, have completed the required hours of supervised psychological employment and have passed the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP).

Clinical mental health counselors must hold at least a master's degree, complete the required hours of supervised clinical experience and pass the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHCE) to become licensed.

Students seeking licensure as marriage and family therapists must have at least a master's degree in the field, possess two years of supervised experience and take the national marriage and family therapy exam.

School Comparison: At a Glance

School Name School Type & Setting Certificate Programs Offered Certificate Program Tuition (2015-2016)
Antioch University - New England 4-year; private not-for-profit; distant town Autism Spectrum Disorders Certificate,
Marriage and Family Therapy Certificate
$665 per credit*
Plymouth State University 4-year; public; remote town Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies in Clinical Mental Health Counseling,
Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies in Educational Leadership - School Psychology
From $530 to $614 per credit in-state; from $605 to $705 per credit out-of-state**
Rivier University 4-year; private not-for-profit; small city Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies in Mental Health Counseling,
Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies in School Psychology
$540 per credit***

Sources: *Antioch University - New England, **Plymouth State University, ***Rivier University.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?