Communication is a broad academic discipline that encompasses many areas, such as public speaking, broadcasting, corporate communications and advertising. Students who wish to study communications can do so at the both the undergraduate and graduate level.
10 Public Speaking Schools
The following schools offer degrees in public speaking.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degree Levels||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Arizona State University||Tempe, AZ||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$10,158 (in-state), $24,458 (out-of-state)|
|Ohio State University||Columbus, OH||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Doctorate||$10,037 (in-state), $27,365 (out-of-state)|
|University of Central Florida||Orlando, FL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's||$6,368 (in-state), $22,467 (out-of-state)|
|The University of Texas at Austin||Austin, TX||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$9,806 (in-state), $34,676 (out-of-state)|
|Michigan State University||East Lansing, MI||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$13,560 (in-state), $36,360 (out-of-state)|
|University of South Florida||Tampa, FL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$6,410 (in-state), $17,324 (out-of-state)|
|Pennsylvania State University||University Park, PA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$17,514 (in-state), $31,346 (out-of-state)|
|Purdue University||West Lafayette, IN||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$10,002 (in-state), $28,804 (out-of-state)|
|University of Maryland - College Park||College Park, MD||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Doctorate||$9,996 (in-state), $31,144 (out-of-state)|
|University of Houston||Houston, TX||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's||$8,759 (in-state), $20,519 (out-of-state)|
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Mass Communication Studies
- Speech Communications and Rhetoric
School Selection Criteria
There are several considerations that students should make prior to selecting a program.
- Since a 2-year associate's degree in communication offers a broad yet comprehensive curriculum that spans many areas within the field, students seeking a more focused education should look for schools with diverse concentration options, such as electronic media, organizational communication, public relations and advertising.
- In addition to a major curriculum covering topics such as broadcast journalism, editorial interpretation, media writing, public relations and mass media law, students should look for 4-year bachelor's degree programs at schools with studios and facilities with state-of-the-art equipment and technology.
- Both associate's and bachelor's degree levels available at the undergraduate level. Both degrees are adequate for entry-level careers that demand public speaking proficiency; however, those with a bachelor's degree are better qualified to attain managerial roles and receive promotions.
- Students may want to consider public speaking schools that offer internship programs, which are helpful for developing connections within various communication industries as well as building resumes.
Students interested in pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's or PhD. in public speaking can consider a degree in communications. Communications programs are common at public state universities, where tuition is often lower than private universities, especially for state residents.