There are just a few traditional public and private colleges located near Reno. This article compares these few Reno-area schools in a few categories using data collected and presented by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Reno, Nevada
The closest schools to Reno tend to be 2-year, private institutions. Only the University of Nevada-Reno and Sierra Nevada College offer graduate degree programs to students in the Reno area.
- University of Nevada-Reno (0.9 miles from downtown)
- Truckee Meadows Community College (1.7 miles from downtown)
- Sierra Nevada College (20.2 miles from downtown)
- Western Nevada College (24.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Reno, Nevada
There are a few options for students wanting to attend larger schools near Reno. Most of these schools are public institutions and student populations greater than 1,000.
- University of Nevada-Reno (19,934 students)
- Truckee Meadows Community College (11,106 students)
- Western Nevada College (3,951 students)
- Sierra Nevada College (1,039 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
According to NCES, net price is determined by subtracting the average amount of financial aid that a full-time undergraduate student receives from the overall cost of school attendance. The schools near Reno range in lowest net prices of $8,673 to $27,681 based on the 2014-2015 academic school year data from the NCES.
- Truckee Meadows Community College ($8,673)
- Western Nevada College ($9,901)
- University of Nevada-Reno ($15,491)
- Sierra Nevada College ($27,681)
Highest Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate refers to the rate in which full-time, first-time degree-seeking students began in 2005 and completed a degree program within 150% of the normal time frame, as specified by NCES standards. The graduation rates for traditional schools in the area range from 17% to 59%.
- University of Nevada-Reno (59% graduation rate)
- Sierra Nevada College (41% graduation rate)
- Truckee Meadows Community College (30% graduation rate)
- Western Nevada College (17% graduation rate)
Students have a few choices of traditional public (and one private) schools in the Reno, NV, area that differ in location, size, price, and graduation rates.