For aspiring medical doctors, choosing the right residency program can be just as important as choosing the right medical school to attend. Residency programs vary widely and may result in various specializations.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Since successful completion of a medical residency is required for an individual to practice medicine in the U.S., many universities offer residency programs through their own affiliated hospitals. Below are profiles of some of the more prestigious schools offering residency programs, including ranking information. These schools were chosen for their large array of medical specializations in addition to their high placement on 'U.S. News & World Report's school rankings.
Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD
|School Highlight: Johns Hopkins was regionally ranked as the #1 hospital in Maryland and nationally ranked in 15 adult specialties and 10 children's specialties for 2017, according to U.S. News & World Report.|
There are more than 20 residency programs at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, including those in anesthesiology, emergency medicine, general surgery and plastic surgery. A wide variety of graduate medical education fellowship programs are also available, including those in endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism, allergy and immunology, adolescent medicine and medical microbiology.
University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA
|School Highlight: The school offers a number of institutes and centers for various areas of study within the field of medicine.|
The School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania offers a wide range of residency programs, including those in ophthalmology, anesthesia, emergency medicine and pediatrics. Most residency programs are completed at Pennsylvania Hospital. For 2017, the school was ranked third in U.S. News & World Report's list of best research medical schools.
Duke University in Durham, NC
|School Highlight: Home to more than 100 highly specialized residency and fellowship programs.|
According to the U.S. News & World Report, Duke ranks eighth for both primary care and research medical schools. Of Duke's many specializations, they place in the nation's top ten for family medicine (#10), geriatrics (#7) and internal medicine (#5). Duke is home to over 30 research centers and institutes where students can gain specialized experience.
Top Prestigious Schools Offering Residency Programs
Here are some additional top-rated schools that offer a variety of quality residency programs:
- The medical school at Harvard University in Cambridge, MA, is affiliated with some of the nation's best hospitals, research centers and institutes.
- Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, OR, hosts more than 25 residency programs.
- The University of California - Los Angeles hosts residency programs in nearly 20 fields of specialty.
- The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, is home to more than 25 medical residency programs, American Dental Association-accredited general practice programs and oral and maxillofacial surgery residency programs.
- The University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, MN, offers more than 30 residency programs.
- The University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, NE hosts 29 residency programs.
- The University of Vermont in Burlington, VT, offers residents 17 different residency programs.
These are a few of the medical schools from around the nation that offer residency programs with a number of different medical specializations. When looking for a residency, aspiring doctors should make sure to find a program that offers a specialization that fits their careers goals.