Reston itself may be lacking in public and private schools, but it is close enough to other towns that a Reston resident can still find a school nearby. Schools in the area run the gamut from an affordable two-year community college to prestigious four-year private universities. We take a look at just a few of these traditional options with information found from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Reston, Virginia
The closest schools to Reston tend to be private institutions. A few of these nearby schools offer graduate degree programs for students as well as undergraduate programs.
- University of the Potomac-VA Campus (4.8 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Chantilly (7.7 miles from downtown)
- Columbia College (8.3 miles from downtown)
- George Mason University (8.3 miles from downtown)
- Stratford University (8.3 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Reston, Virginia
The largest schools near Reston are, again, mostly private institutions, but the two largest schools are public. The majority of the larger institutions in the area are 4-year schools, though the largest of all is a community college.
- Northern Virginia Community College (50,929 students)
- George Mason University (37,316 students)
- Strayer University-Virginia (5,520 students)
- Marymount University (3,418 students)
- Stratford University (2,096 students)
Lowest Net Price
Reston's schools (including specialty schools) with the lowest net prices had figures less than $21,000 during the 2018-2019 school year. The net price of a school is calculated by taking the total attendance cost on average and subtracting the average financial aid award from it for a full-time undergrad.
- Northern Virginia Community College ($9,440)
- Columbia College ($9,478)
- University of Management and Technology ($11,207)
- George Mason University ($20,157)
Highest Graduation Rates
Reston's traditional schools with the highest graduation rates have rates from 0% to 71% according to the NCES for 2018. Graduation rates from the NCES look at the full-time undergraduate students who finish their programs within the normal time as well as those who graduate within 150% of the program's standard time.
- George Mason University (71% graduation rate)
- Columbia College (64% graduation rate)
- Stratford University (61% graduation rate)
- Marymount University (58% graduation rate)
There are plenty of private and public schools for students near Reston, VA, to choose from when searching for schools with a particular location, size, price, and/or graduation rate.