Richmond, KY, students have a variety of options when it comes to choosing a college, as the area is home to a number of 4-year private colleges, a community college and two state university campuses. We compare the traditional institutions using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Richmond, Kentucky
Students wishing to attend school near Richmond have mostly 4-year schools to choose from. Some of these schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs for interested students.
- Eastern Kentucky University (located downtown)
- Berea College (13.4 miles from downtown)
- American National University-Lexington (17.8 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Lexington (17.8 miles from downtown)
- Employment Solutions-College for Technical Education (18.3 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Richmond, Kentucky
The largest schools near Richmond are public institutions, but there are large private schools available as well. Overall, the Richmond area offers student populations of fewer than 100 students, to schools with more than 10,000 students.
- University of Kentucky (29,727 students)
- Eastern Kentucky University (16,844 students)
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College (10,388 students)
- Asbury University (1,915 students)
- Berea College (1,643 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES lists schools' net prices, which provide an estimate of how much a student ends up paying to attend a particular institution. This figure is calculated by subtracting the average amount of financial aid in-state, full-time undergrad students receive from the total estimated cost of attendance. Net prices at schools in the Richmond, KY, area ranged from around $3,000 to nearly $24,000, according to NCES figures from 2014-2015.
- Berea College ($3,125)
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College ($7,212)
- Eastern Kentucky University ($12,492)
- University of Kentucky ($16,673)
- American National University ($18,130)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES also keeps track of schools' graduation rates, which are calculated by finding the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete their programs within 150% of the normal program time. For example, a bachelor's degree program usually takes four years to finish, so the overall graduation rate would include all of the students who graduated within six years. Schools in this area had rates that ranged from a low of 18% to a high of 73%, according to NCES figures from 2015.
- Transylvania University (73% graduation rate)
- Berea College (63% graduation rate)
- University of Kentucky (63% graduation rate)
- Asbury University (63% graduation rate)
- Employment Solutions-College for Technical Education (58% graduation rate)
The Richmond, KY, area offers students a good variety of public and private schools that differ in location, size, price, and graduation rates.