Many of the schools in the Rio Rancho area are specialty schools, but we will focus on traditional schools that offer a variety of programs in different academic fields. We use statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to compare them in four specific categories.
Closest Schools to Rio Rancho, New Mexico
The closest schools to Rio Rancho are almost all private institutions. There is an even mix of 2-year and 4-year institutions.
- University of Phoenix-New Mexico (6.9 miles from downtown)
- National American University-Albuquerque West (7.5 miles from downtown)
- Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute (7.8 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Albuquerque (9.4 miles from downtown)
- National American University-Albuquerque (11.5 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Rio Rancho, New Mexico
There are only a few schools near Rio Rancho that have over 1,000 students. Of the larger institutions, a couple offer graduate degree programs in addition to a variety of undergraduate programs.
- University of New Mexico-Main Campus (27,844 students)
- Central New Mexico Community College (26,771 students)
- University of Phoenix-New Mexico (1,473 students)
- Brown Mackie College-Albuquerque (767 students)
- Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute (481 students)
Lowest Net Price
Cost is another important consideration when choosing a college. The NCES calculates each college's net price by subtracting the average amount of financial aid that full-time undergrad students receive from the total cost of attending the school, for students paying the in-district or in-state tuition rate. Nearly all of the public schools near Rio Rancho have a net price around $10,000 or lower for 2014-2015.
- Central New Mexico Community College ($3,846)
- Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute ($8,352)
- University of New Mexico-Main Campus ($11,107)
- Brookline College-Albuquerque ($14,310)
- National American University-Albuquerque ($14,447)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES calculates the overall graduation rate based on the percentage of full-time first-time students who complete their degree or certificate program within 150% of 'normal time' (e.g. 6 years to complete a bachelor's degree). Although a few of the traditional schools in the Rio Rancho area fall below 25%, there are several schools with higher graduation rates for 2015.
- Brookline College-Albuquerque (56% graduation rate)
- University of New Mexico-Main Campus (48% graduation rate)
- ITT Technical Institute-Albuquerque (44% graduation rate)
- National American University-Albuquerque (25% graduation rate)
- University of Phoenix-New Mexico (20% graduation rate)
There are enough traditional private and public schools near Rio Rancho, NM, to offer students a variety of graduation rates, prices, sizes, and locations.