The Sacramento area is home to several four-year universities, community colleges and vocational schools. To help students find the right school, data from the National Center of Education Statistics (NCES) is presented for several different categories, including proximity to Sacramento, school size, cost, and graduation rate.
Schools Near Sacramento
Many students value proximity to a large city. Sacramento has several public and private options near the city, offering awards ranging from a certificate to a bachelor's degree. Below are five traditional schools within a 5.5-mile radius of Sacramento:
- Alliant International University (2.3 miles from Sacramento)
- California State University (3.1 miles from Sacramento)
- Asher College (4.9 miles from Sacramento)
- Sacramento City College (5.0 miles from Sacramento)
- Charles A Jones Career and Education Center (5.5 miles from Sacramento)
Largest Schools Near Sacramento
Sacramento's five largest schools are both 2 and 4-year institutions, and all are public. These schools are moderate to large, with student bodies ranging from 18,500 to 34,500, as demonstrated below.
- University of California-Davis (34,508 total students)
- California State University (29,349 total students)
- American River College (29,133 total students)
- Sacramento City College (23,317 total students)
- Sierra College (18,565 total students)
Lowest Net Price
For many students, the fear of being burdened with debt can have a major impact on their education decisions. The following five institutions have the lowest net price according to 2014-2015 data from the NCES. The NCES determines the net price by adding schools' estimated in-state undergraduate tuition, fees, textbooks and other educational expenses for full-time students and then subtracting the average amount of grant and scholarship aid.
- Woodland Community College ($6,373)
- Charles A Jones Career and Education Center ($7,013)
- Sierra College ($8,428)
- Sacramento City College ($8,551)
- American River College ($8,622)
The overall graduation rate is the percentage of full-time undergraduate students that complete their program in 150% of normal program time. According to the NCES, the institutions below have the highest graduation rates as of 2015.
- University of California-Davis (85% graduation rate)
- Charles A Jones Career and Education Center (84% graduation rate)
- CET-Sacramento (84% graduation rate)
- MTI College (62% graduation rate)
- Carrington College-Citrus Heights (56% graduation rate)
With the information presented here, prospective students near Sacramento, CA, can make a confident and informed decision about their future college.